Is this possible with one well????

Users who are viewing this thread

netko

Reaction score
I have 2 cottages, i want to install a water holding tank in each cottage with their own electrical requirement and want to pump water from one well only. Is this possible????:confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have 2 cottages, i want to install a water holding tank in each cottage with their own electrical requirement and want to pump water from one well only. Is this possible????:confused:

It is probably possible but we need to know a bit more about what you mean and what you want.

I assume that "water holding tank" means a pressure tank for each cottage. If you mean a "holding tank" like a cistern then it is more complicated.

Do you want each cottage to be able to send a signal to operate the pump, or do you want each cottage to be able to power the pump separately, or do you want two pumps?

Is this all one property with one electrical service from the power company, or are there two services from the power company?

The best way would be to have one pump with one power supply and if you want to allocate cost to the two cottages, use a water meter to measure the water used by each. Water meters are inexpensive (maybe $60 each with all the fittings), while control systems are more expensive and complex.

netko

Reaction score
I mean pressure tank in each cottage with each cottage to send a signal to the pump with each cottage on different electrical service. I assume there is a switch before the pump that each cottage would turn on when the demand for water is signal.

Thank you

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your idea isn't only not possible, but it is not practical. With the low cost of operating a Pump and you only using it at a Cottage which will have extremely low water usage, you would be spending a lot of money for nothing. Leave the Pump on one meter and the guy that isn't paying the electric bill just buy the other guy a six pack each year and that should take care of his half of the Electric Bill.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You also do not need a pressure tank at each cottage for each unit to have good pressure. The one tank that is on the pump now is all you need. You could hook up the water line to 10 cottages if you want. All would have good pressure until you use more water than the pump can produce, and more tanks won't help in the long run.

netko

Reaction score
that is how i am set up now. what if i sale one cottage and they want their own tank, can i connect to the same well.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can put a tank in each cottage, or you can put a tank at the well and let them put a tank in their cottage.

If you do that you can put a check valve on the line serving their cottage so there will be no back-flow from their tank if the primary cottage has high demand.

If you sell the cottage and furnish water to them, you should put a water meter on their supply and bill them for the water. The charges should cover the cost of operating and maintaining your well and water system. If they have to pay for water they will be less inclined to waste it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks