Can't budge old moen handles/skirts

Users who are viewing this thread

Ho333ard

Reaction score
It's always the easy stuff that stops you in your tracks.
I have to remove the handles and skirts from a shower faucet set to remodel, and I can't budge 'em.
It's old Moen stuff, superficially like this:
banner-tubshowerfaucet-sf14.jpg

But with solid metal handles held on with a recessed allen screw towards the base (and a 3rd diverter handle).
Can't budge the screws on anyt of 'em. Tried a variety of allen wrenches- they either just turn through or don't fit. Tried soaking with penetrant. Tried prying/forcing off-- they won't budge.
Would appreciate any advice. This stuff works fine and I really don't have time to go chasing around after replacement parts.

ernie3

Reaction score
removing screws

I can't tell you how to get the handle off (having the same problem), but I can give you a tip on getting the screws out. Had the same problem with a faucet handle where the Allen wrench holes were rounded out. After a few hours of cussing, I went to Home depot and got a screw extractor sized to fit into the hole. Hooked it into a cordless drill, popped it in the allen wrench hole and screw came right out.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I had that problem with Moen vanity faucets, on four out of six bath sinks in my home. A plastic part deteriorates and jams itself in the skirt threads. The part is supposed to be removable without tools, but I had to use progressively larger pump pliers with old leather belts to get the skirts off. After scratching enough chrome, and becoming concerned that I'd damage a vanity top, I finally got out my SawsAll and cut every one out of the house and replaced them with new Delta fixtures.

It wasn't my first problem with Moen, and I've never had a problem with Delta.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks