Is it ok to leave small leak alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

wp1

Reaction score
HI. I have a shallow well jet pump ( 30 - 50 psi setup ). I have connected everything up very well. It is only used to water my small lawn so there is a small amount of pipe with two hose bibs on it and the pump is right next to the well hole itself. The leak occurs where the suction pipe from the well connects to a 90 degree elbow. The leak takes about 36 hours to trigger the pressure switch to turn on the pump. The pump will shut off after hitting 50 psi a few seconds later, and this will happen again in about another 36 hours. I feel that I can live with this. Will this leak eventually stop by itself? The suction pipe ( actually semi flexible tubing ) has a footvalve on it and I was wondering if I put a check valve between the 90 degree elbow and the pump if this will take the pressure off the point where it leaks now and hopefully fix the problem?

Thanks very much for your advice in advance.

Will.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

One of three things will happen, and we cannot tell you which one because it depends on many factors which cannot be predicted.
1. The leak will remain constant.
2. The leak will evenually cause erosion of the joint and start leaking worse.
3. The water quality will be such that it causes the metal to corrode and stop the leak.

None of these is really desirable and you should do whatever it takes to stop the leak NOW.

wp1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured that I will have to address the problem. I will look into what the best thing to do is. Thanks again.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You could have perfect plumbing, and a minute leakage through a check valve or foot valve. As long as the pressure switch is working, you are at least at a functional status.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The suction leak should be fixed no matter what. Secondly, if the Pump comes on every 36 hours and shuts off in few seconds, you either don't have a tank or it's terribly waterlogged. You may have several problems.

No the other Check Valve won't help. You will just lose the Prime.

bob...

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I'm still thinking it isn't as critical as some flaws I encounter, not if it takes at least a day to lose pressure. And if the pump even runs for a second, I wonder if there isn't some sort of pressure tank already there. (or maybe a run of poly pipe, which has a bit of flex)

Speedbump

Reaction score
Let's ask him what happens when he is using water. Like in the shower. Does the Pump cycle on and off or does it stay running continuously or does it eventually shut off while the shower is being used.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks