(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a pedestal sink. Help needed.

Thanks for the pictures. I think that looks great. If we could get as good a result I would be thrilled.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midge View Post
    All I wanted to do was get rid of the fugly wallpaper.
    That's how it starts. I wanted to paint my office, and that morphed into a 5-year, God-knows-how-much-it-cost total remodel. But we're almost done...

So we are 80% done. I just need to paint the crown molding (that was a lot of fun to install on wonky walls too!) and hang pictures and towel rack. We did not do the pedestal sink because we were not confident that it could be done without looking like a toddler did it.

Here is the now pic.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I'm not a pedestal sink fan, anyway, so it looks mighty good to me. Nice match with the mirror. Too bad the pics didn't show the crown molding!

Default siphon

However, I don't agree with hj's position that fundamental physics dooms all s-traps in all installations to failure. These were invented and refined by smart people over a long period of time, and were installed for many, many years until better methods were developed.

You can disagree all you want to, but those people siphoning gas from cars and trucks rely on the fact that an "S" trap, (which is just a rigid siphon), works every time. And the old time high tank toilets would not have flushed if it were not for the predictibility of the siphon working everytime. The "refinements" to S traps were to try to overcome the deficiencies by covering up the flaws, not by making them better.