Does anyone have the same problem with hot water line?

Users who are viewing this thread

xchen

Reaction score
Hi, all:

Does anyone hear kind of dripping sound after hot water runs? This is in my trouble master bathroom again. After I use hot water from master sinks I hear some kind of sound just like dripping. Faster at the beginning then slowing down and then stop. This seems only happening when using hot water line from two sinks even without draining. The house is 6 years old and there is no water damage visible so far.

I asked the question to Mr. Love and his response was that mostly likely it's the sound of pipe expanding and shrinking back. It makes sense but it's so annoying, sometimes I think it is water dripping sound. Does anyone have the same experience? Is this common? Or just I am unlucky? :confused:

Thanks!

Xiao

mreeves

Reaction score
pvc pipes expanding

This is a very common problem that happens when you use hot water. To test and be sure that it is not a leak you can do the following:

1. before you go to work in the morning turn your water heater thermostat all the way down so that the water will get cold in the tank.

2. when you get home run the hot water in the kitchen sink and make sure that the water is not hot.

3. Now run the hot water in the master sink (should be cold or just warm water coming out) and listen for the "dripping sound". If you don't hear it you know that the problem is just the plastic drain lines squeeking against the wood studs in the wall as they expand from the hot water running thru them. I do not know of any way to fix this without cutting open the walls open.

Don't forget to turn the temperature on the water heater back to its original setting. It should take less than an hour for the water to come back up to temperature.

xchen

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! !

I've turned the tempurature to low last night. Today after work I ran the water in the master sink with drain stop plugged (water is still a little bit warm), I still hear the sound but it's not as frequent as when the water was hot. :(

I am going to run the water again tomorrow morning. Thanks again! Will let you know the result.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A sort of ticking sound can come from either/both the hot water line as it expands and contracts or the drain line as you dump hot water down it. Both of the pipes, supply and waste, will expand and contract a little as the temperature changes. It can be especially noticeable if the pipes bind any as they go through the joists or flooring, but just the pipe expanding on its own, if it is uneven, can do it. My unprofessional experience.

xchen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and information!

After several tests my conclusion is that the hot/warm water makes the sound. I also called a plumbing company and explained the situation, the guy told me it was the water expanding. So I am going to stop worrying about this.

Thanks again for everyone who was so nice to give me suggestion/information!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks