Backstabbing (push ins) or screw terminals?

Backstabbing or Screw terminals?

• Backstabbing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screw terminals

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

rgsgww

Reaction score
Which do you like to use? Which one do you think is safer? I prefer screw terminals.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have never seen screw terminals end up looking like this backstab:

Attachments

• hot stab.JPG
    hot stab.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,051

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I smell a troll.

I refuse to get involved in this thread.
This post made, the first post by a new member, with a totally obscure screen name, and NO profile information, on one of the most contentious electrical issues.

What's next buddy, you gonna ask if we install receptacles ground up or down???
How about asking if we pre-twist wires under a wire nut???

Hey, if I am wrong I apologize. I'm in a crappy sarcastic mood this morning.
If I am right; so there. :p

Cookie

Reaction score
Petey, I have a sister out law I always thought was really a troll, what does one smell like? Can you verify? She always smells like smoke. :D

Or this one?

Vote now: lol.

One more smoking troll

Also, never backstab they are sometimes too short and fall out, always screw.

Where's the box there? Is it under the melted insulation?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
poll

You say you prefer screw terminals. What is the purpose of the poll? If the majority prefer backstabbing are you going to change your preference. And what about "backstabbed" connections that use a screw clamp to secure the wires?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Putty or silicone??

This is one of those debates which have no right answer.

As mentioned, the so-called back-stabbed connections ( not the same as "BACK WIRED") are UL listed ( 14 guage wire only ) devices and perfectly legal. Many of the electricians on the internet poo-poo their use, but a LOT of electricians all over the country continue to install these in new construction for the obvious reasons.

Just like many plumbers on the internet poo-poo the Plumb_qwik stops with ingtegral corrugated supply.. But a LOT of plumbers around the country continue to install them in new construction for the obvious reasons.

I think the one summary comment I could make, in both the electrical and plumbing examples, is that you probably will have a difference in life expectancy of the product. There is no code I know of that says everything you install in a new house should last for 25 years. That is a
"quality of construction" issue which the builder, and buyer, get to weigh in on.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Well after looking around a bit I see the OP is just a novice and the question is likely valid. Thing is this has been gone over ad nauseam, just like the other topics I mentioned.

Let's just say nobody who has been in the field long enough to know better would EVER use "quickwire", "backstab", or whatever you want to call it.

We've ALL seen WAY too many failures due to this to even consider using them.

In my own personal opinion I don't think they are reliable even if done correctly. I've seen failures in brand new never lived in homes (modulars) where the wires were perfectly straight and true.

rgsgww

Reaction score
You say you prefer screw terminals. What is the purpose of the poll? If the majority prefer backstabbing are you going to change your preference. And what about "backstabbed" connections that use a screw clamp to secure the wires?

The connections that use a clamp are good aswell.

Cookie

Reaction score
That was one short poll. :)
Maybe it was the Trolls, I am sorry...I can't help it, I wake up sickening silly & playful.:p

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes it looks closed then other times it does not. I wouldn't worry about it.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Where's the box there? Is it under the melted insulation?

Yes, right there is that wall that was spared.

We had one circuit in our bedroom that "poofed" (including sparks) above the ceiling fan and tripped the breaker at about 3am one morning -- little sleep for the remainder of that night -- and I completely disconnected that wire at the panel after I could not find a bad spot anywhere!

rgsgww

Reaction score
Yes, right there is that wall that was spared.

We had one circuit in our bedroom that "poofed" (including sparks) above the ceiling fan and tripped the breaker at about 3am one morning -- little sleep for the remainder of that night -- and I completely disconnected that wire at the panel after I could not find a bad spot anywhere!

woah...good I went through my basement receptacles screwing down those wires...if you want to keep the outlet...dont push the screwdriver in the outlet to release the backstab too hard...then you will need to get a new one....

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had experience with push-ins that did not stay pushed in or had problems with arcing.

And I have had experience with screw terminals where the wire was not bent around the screw - can come loose when cramming the wires back into the box.

And I think that is a big part of the problem, it can take quite a bit of force to "cram" everything into the box after making connections.

So what I do is cut the wires to size and strip, and say they are entering the box from the top, I will bend them down to the bottom inside the box, then back up to the top, then half way back down, then bend the ends so they are sticking straight out.

Now the wires are like an "accordion" and will easily stretch out and go back into the box. No need to "cram".

Then I use needle nose pliers to make a curved bend on the stripped part of each wire, then place it around the screw with the end going the direction the screw turns, then I close the end with the needle nose so the wire circles the screw, and then tighten the screw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks