Shower Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

rolls831

Reaction score
Hi, new DIY. Would like some info about shower valves. I've torn out a fiberglass tub/shower and changing to walk in shower. I'm going to change from two handle control to a one handle control. There are a lot of brands and styles to choose from. I need some help in making a choice. The new plumbing will be copper pipe. The house is about 35 years old. I've heard and read so many pro's and con's about makes and models of valves, maybe just close my eyes and grab.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Delta 1700 series and the (I think) 1500 series valve bodies have gotten some good comments from the plumbers. At least one of the Delta units can use either a pressure balanced or thermostatically controlled cartridge; I'm not up on all the details.

I've got a Grohe thermostatically controlled valve in my house...I put a pressure balanced one in my mother's (she didn't want a thermostatically controlled one - too complicated). So far, I've had good luck.

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
Shower valve replacement

Well, after ripping out my walls doing a remodel on the bathroom, I've decided it would be wise to update the shower valve. The only issue is that the feed lines are plastic with everything else being sweated copper. The install is the original 20 years old), and I'm not sure what they used to secure the plastic feed lines to the copper lines, or how to replace it. I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about.

All the new valves I've looked at also appear to use a threaded fitting now. I'm not sure how to move forward with this. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• showervalve.jpg
    showervalve.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 360

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pb

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but your plastic pipes are polybutylene, which are the "bad" ones. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how lucky you feel, 20 years was too long for the class action replacement, but maybe you will not have any problem with them. The Delta universal body with a 1700 trim, or 1700T if you want thermostatic, is one of the best valves, in my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks