well problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Rags63

Reaction score
Hi,can anybody help me.I have a submersible well pump(approx 128' deep)pump dosen't kick on all the time.If I play with the contacts in the pressure switch ,the well will kick back on.Do you think the pump has a dead spot in it or is the pump just going bad?Thanks for any help.......

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
well

You may be lucky and just have a bad pressure switch. You can get one at your local hardware supply for less than $20. I'd try that first. If you want to test and have a volt meter try of reading on the pump side of the switch when your having a no start problem.

Rags63

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the reply..I have power at switch(switch kicks in when pressure goes down) ,but the pump doesn't turn on unless I open and close the switch manually about 4 to 5 times.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Hi, Thanks for the reply..I have power at switch ...

... but are you sure the power is going through the switch and to the pump?

A parts changer would install a new switch to see whether that might have been the problem, and a mechanic would test for voltage at the contacts where the pump is connected (with the switch closed).

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Yes ,there is power on the load side of the switch.

So then, yes, there could be a dead spot or possibly a shaky connection. A couple of years ago, my previous pump would trip the breaker when the switch closed, but I could still get it going (for a few days) by flipping the breaker a few times.

If your pump is very old, my guess is that you also need a new one.

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
pump

I'm with Mr. Lee on this one. I had a 2 hp farm use motor that had a problem like yours. You hit the switch and maybe it starts and maybe it hums. You shut of and hit it again or maybe again it away it goes. Your doing the same thing with the contacts. LB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks