Water hammer: Can it damage stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
Did a search on this forum but all threads dealt with how to muffle water hammer, not whether it can do any harm. Long story short after installing a new irrigation valve I heard three bangs this morning when the new valve closed and the next (old) valve opened. They are all inline valves. Something like CLUNK ... clang ... clang.

It doesn't bother me but can that destroy or dislodge stuff over time? Or cause leaks at PVC thread joints?

Installing a Sioux Falls hammer arrester would be a real bear at that location. Literally no headroom. It's a copper water main of which a shut-off followed by a PVC manifold taps off.

Regards, Joerg.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd fix it. If the pipes actually move, they could end up getting a hole worn in them. It stresses the joints and valve seals on that line.

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately that might mean a whole new install down there because the guys left zero pipe lengths at the supply side. It's all tees, ells and such butted up against each other.

Is there a PVC version of a hammer arrester?

Regards, Joerg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
arrestor

No, but you can do the PVC stuff and then scew the arrestor into a female adapter. Do you have a vacuum breaker/backflow valve on the irrigation system. The arrestor MUST be installed ahead of the valve(s) causing the hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks