Boiler problems

Users who are viewing this thread

richierich

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need help. Here is the problem.

I have an oil burning boiler with a hot water storage tank. I have had problems with the boiler for the past few months. I was told by the service company that I need to replace my oil tank.

My boiler wouldn't start the other day. I bled the lines. It didn't seem like there was any air in the line. I hit the reset button and the flame wouldn't start. It shut down. I waited 5 minutes, took a small piece of paper , lit it hit the reset button and threw the paper in the chamber. The flame started however black smoke started coming out. Eventually i shut the boiler switch off. I put the switch back on about 30 minutes later. The boiler started up but i saw a spark near the gun and alot of smoke started coming out. I gave up and called the service company.

They came down cleaned various parts. Told me I needed a new oil tank. Recommended I put it outside to give me more room in my boiler/laundry room area. Boiler working again.....or so I thought. Had hot water. Lost it again. Yesterday 7/3 I lost hot water again. They came on 7/2 to do the service call. I hit the reset button and got some hot water. Today no hot water. I hit reset again and the boiler started. Making some unusually noise. Did it the other day and the service guy said that these older boilers tend to be louder the more often that they are cleaned. Anyway I hit the reset button this morning. Boiler started shut down after about one minute. It won't start on its own. I have to hit the reset button to get it to work.

Please help. I am tired of paying this service company to check it out. He claimed that the slud in the oil tank was probably clogging the line thus the boiler wasn't starting. I think it is something eelse simply because the boiler stats when I hit the reset button but eventually he shuts down and won't start on its own.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Sludge would clog the pump and the pressure regulator that is inside the pump.

I don't see any reason to replace a tank unless it is leaking.

1. Do you have a filter between the tank and the furnace?
They don't cost much.

2. It is probably either a plugged nozzle or a bad electrode.
Both can be fixed or replaced for very little cost.
Did he replace the nozzle and/or check the electrode?

Since the boiler smoked it is most likely a nozzle or dirty electrode.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks