Well Pump Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

ton

Reaction score
I have a sand point well at my cottage. The pump is located approximately 12 ft away from the well. Its driven 25 ft into the ground and water is 15 ft down. I had bought a cheaper 1/2 hp diamond pump and it was difficult to prime and draw water with a 1 1/4" inlet pipe. We spent two days working on it when finally it was decided that we would purchase a 3/4 hp c series jacuzzi pump. (top of the line I am told and at this time wanted to make sure it would be the right pump) I have water but it draws some air. You could see bubbles come into the clear pipe that feeds the pressure tank Worst of all it kicks (shakes) twice when it finishes its cycle. Is this normal? I have checked all connections it does not take air in at the pump or at the check valve. The check valve is located at the well. I am concerned that going with a 3/4 that the pump may be outproducing the well. I was told to relocate the check valve at the pump!!?? Install a "air vent" to have air released from the system!!?? Thirdly I was told to reduce my water line thickness from 1 1/4" to 1"!!?? Where do I go with this. Did I buy the wrong pump. I have balanced the pressure tank. It starts at 30 psi and I have it shutt off at 40psi. Thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No it is not normal. Air is either coming from a leak in the suction line, a clogged well point, or too low of a water level. Adding an air relief won't help.

ton

Reaction score
is the pump overpowered or is this irrelevent

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Still sounds like a suction leak. Probably the reason it was hard to prime. Smaller pipe won't help. Pump could be trying to draw more water than it can get but, it wouldn't just stop pumping at 40 PSI. You can choke the discharge of the pump back with a ball valve. This will simulate a smaller pump but, will probably make the problem worse if there is a suction leak.

ton

Reaction score
well problems

Thank you. I am going to try and reseal the connections at the well and pump. I wlll choke back at the discharge. Should I change the settings back to a 30/50 psi rather than the 30/40 psi I have it set at.

ton

Reaction score
Thank you for your Help

I have fixed the kicking problem. I have lowered the settings to a 20psi start and 40psi shut off. For some reason it runs very smooth now and does not kick at the end of its cycle. Still taking in air however. It could be a blocked screen. How well do these nu well tablets work and where can you get them in Canada? Once again thank you

Speedbump

Reaction score
Do a Google search for the Nu-Well Tablets.

Whether the screen is plugged or not, air has to come from the suction line, so you still have fittings that are not air tight.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks