possible condensation?

Users who are viewing this thread

tom123

Reaction score
I had a Kohler Wellington toilet installed last August. I have never noticed any leakage or other problems.

While cleaning the floor recently, I noticed that there was a little space left open on the floor in the back that was not caulked. I was checking for any signs of water and noticed that if I stuck the tip of my finger at the opening of the hole, the tip of my finger is wet.

I checked the connections and the floor from the basement and can see no signs of leakage on the floor or the pipes. i have been keeping an eye on it and there is never any water that leaks out on the floor.

Could this be condensation or should I have a new wax ring installed? I don't want to ignore a problem and have a bigger issue in the future.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

Condensation can only occur if humid air contacts a cold surface. It is not likely that much air could get under the toilet through that hole and it is also unlikely that the portion of the toilet exposed to that air is cold enough to create condensation.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
hj,
All bathroom setups are different, and you're absolutely right, it isn't likely, but the toilet bowl trap is right there and if there is any humid air at all in the bathroom (which there always is...showers, etc.) it could be condensation.
The only way to know for sure, of course, is if tom pulls the toilet to check.
Who knows? LOL
Mike
tom123,
You can always do the old food coloring in the toilet tank trick to see if its leaking or condensation, before you pull it. Good luck!

tom123

Reaction score
i put a 2000 flushes tablet in for a couple of days and i also ran a bottle of red food coloring down in about five flushes. I don't see a hint of colors in the discharge.

Should i let it be now and check the basement everyonce in a while?

Thanks for the info!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In testing by the San Diego Water authority, 2000Flushes destroyed toilet flappers, some models in as little as 28 days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks