Minimum wall requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I believe that 3" pipe drains the best for toilets right. My question is if I am to run the 3" drain pipe in a wall what is the minimum size the wall should be. 2 by 6 or 2 by 4.

The wall where a shower head is located within. What size should this wall be at. 2 by 6 or 2 by 4. Thank you:D

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
3" pipe is 3½" OD. The OD of any fitting sockets, couplings, etc. is nearly 4",so that does not work in a 2X4 wall. Any wet wall is easier to work with if you make it 2X6. Trying to mount a shower valve for proper reveal, in a 2x4 wall, can be tough, but it is doable. It was the norm in a lot of construction. I have seen house where they put the drains in 2x4 walls, and just let the drywall bow out where necessary. Not pretty.

Willl

Reaction score
OK, how about this question. If I have a room that is 4' by 5' with one toilet and one sink (probably one of those small pedestal sinks) and the toilet and sink are side by side where is the best place to put them side by side. Along the 4' wall or the 5' wall. Care to explain. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks