Flushed radiant water heater, now confused

Users who are viewing this thread

brador

Reaction score
Whoops. I have just flushed out the water heater for the radiant system. However, the water flow wasn't what I expected, so now I'm not certain how to make sure the water heater has no air pockets. Also, I'm not sure whether I need to purge air from the system itself. And for that matter, how to do either. The components are:

- Fed by domestic with backflow prevention valve
- Single zone, 6 PEX manifold
- Just one drain value (not counting water heater drain) at the manifolds
- Pressure tank and pump
- Water heater
- A Motorola valve I can set to "open"

Any help appreciated. I've been reading some materials here and other sites but can't quite figure it out. Many thanks!

UPDATE--The system has an auto purge, so when I filled the water heater and turned on the circulation pump, there was much hissing and gurgling, gradually getting very quiet. I can't see or hear any air in the system. Am I safe? Is there still a chance of air pockets in the water heater (nonononono) or radiant PEX?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the water is circulating (and that's a big if in the pex lines), then any residual air trapped there will be pulled out by the air scoop extraction device. Depending on the elevation differences, it can sometimes be a pain to get all of the air out of loops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks