3-Way Switch help

Users who are viewing this thread

oxicottin

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 3-way switch that controls a light in my basement. Im replacing the wire due to it being old and falling apart. The wire has no markings so im not sure what wire is what so I drew a diagram with numbered wires and was hopeing that someone could tell me how it was wired or what number wire conects to what number wire. Here is the diagram. Thanks!

Here is a link to what and where the wires I have now are.

---

Tundra

Reaction score
Turn off the breaker

Take 11 and 12 to the light....connect 12 & 6.

From the light take a 3 wire #14 to one of the switches...connect the white wire to your hot (11) and hook it up to the single side of the 3-way. Hook the blk & red to the other side of the switch.

Run another 3 wire #14 to the other switch from the lite. Connect the white wire to the single screw and the blk & red to the other two screws.

Now walk back to the lite.

Marrette the two red that go to the switches together.

Marrette the two blk that go to the switches together.

Connect the white wire that comes from the switch to the blk wire (5) on the lite...turn on the breaker and you are done.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Assuming these cables are run and you can't move any around, here is what to do.

We'll use a "-" as a splice:

12 - 9 - 9 - 6
11 - 15
13 - 7, 14 - 8
7 - 1, 8 - 2
3 (re-colored black with a marker) - 5

At the two switches, the black and red will be your travelers (gold screws), white will be your common.

oxicottin

Reaction score
Is the first drawling correct? I have another 3-Way I needed to do and I drew it up as well. Please let me know if it looks right as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Garage_3_Way_Wireing_Diagram.jpg
    Garage_3_Way_Wireing_Diagram.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
Looks like you're good to go. Nice drawings by the way.....I know 5 year olds that are more computer literate than I am :eek:

Respectfully,

Tundra

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Tundra. Are you one of those ice road truckers?
My wife used to work with someone fromYellowknife.

Tundra

Reaction score
Hey Oxi,

Actually a real life Homer Simpson. Not as responsible as Homer because I'm a hydro guy.....nuclear. I ain't that bright.

I spend a lot of time on the ice roads but it's because I like chasing wolves:D

I worked at Ekati (diamond mine) for 10 years but the camp life was a little too much with young kids so now I'm home every night.....Wife don't like it too much but the kids do :confused:

I haven't seen the show yet as it's not aired regularily up here. Alex is quite the character though. Not sure what he's like on TV but in real life he's a hoot to say the least....if you ever meet him don't shake his hand....he's as strong as an ox.

Pretty small population up here so I might know who your talking about....been up here since 1981. There's a few perks like a $10 Dall over the counter tag every year that I just can't leave......just a teaser for all you hunters down there:D

I've been watching this forum for awhile now and am quite impressed with it...I'm gonna need some advice on a few things over the next coupla months so I thought I'd better post a couple things before I start begging.

Fire away if you have any questions about the NWT....pm ANYTIME on hunting...it's about all I really think about.

Sorry for the hijack......I won't make it a habit ;)

Respectfully,

Kevin

oxicottin

Reaction score
Thanks all! and hay Tundra that Ice driving is dangerious :eek: I saw some previews of it awile back but never seen the show yet! You got some courage driving on that stuff! Good luck and be safe :D

Tundra

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they play it up a little bit on the show ;)

That's where all of us learned how to drive......lotsa fun pulling e-brakes at 100+....ohhh to be kidz again!!

It's a little interesting at the end of the season but the road itself gets to 6+ feet after the traffic is on it for awhile. The portages are the real hassle but there is a 2 months or so in the spring that you can sled in and then move to the quads.....it has its moments to say the least.

I live in an off grid home just East of YK and the secondary route hits the ice within a lob wedge of the front door. Once the #'s jumped from 500 trucks to 10 000 :eek: we had a little chat with them and they've changed the route to hop onto the lake a little further down thankfully.

On a side note I hear you can download Alex's laugh for your ringer nowadays...who woulda thunk. Good things happen to good people :cool:

Kevin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks