Sewage ejector pump check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

fambric

Reaction score
I had a new septic system installed a couple of years ago at a cabin in Canada. The system is setup so that the waste is pumped back behind my cabin and up 35 feet to the holding tank/leaching bed. The problem I am running into is that when the ejector turns and pumps the waste, at the end of the cycle the check valve kicks in and the jolt has been pulling the rubber sleeves off of the pvc pipe and the system back washes into the ejector tank. Is there another method to run the check valve rather than with the rubber sleeves? I have tightened the stainless steel clamps on the rubber sleeves very tight, however, after a few days I have the same problem. The other issue is that the pipe that runs from the ejector holding tank to the leech bed is not level, so when the upward pipe of the ejector pump is connected, the ejectore pump does not sit flat on the bottom of the ejector holding tank. It is tipped a little... should I be conerned about this? Does this contribute to my problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated... Thanks Frank

dukey

Reaction score
If you use a glue on union and all glue fittings the pipes will never slip.
I would have a way to pump clear water into the pump basket so I could clean it out in the fall or when winterizing and a way to drain the water out after cleaning. You could wind up with a real mess if it all freezes. Remember that 4" pipe holds 6.2 American gallons per 10 foot length. You are dealing with quite a bit of sewage.

B2CHR

Reaction score
Last one I installed called for a 1/16" hole drilled about 2" above the pump when using a check value. Something about keeping the pump from losing prime. Just a guess.

dukey

Reaction score
with the head he'll have with 35' of lift the 1/16th hole will squirt a heck of a stream.
I assume that the rubber boot connections are so the pump could be repaired or drained.
With unions that shouldn't be a problem and any sort of drain could be plumbed in near the check. The pump should be setting in liquid/solid waste, therefor no prime problem.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
install the glue type

two things that you ought to do...

1. install a 2 inch ball valve above the
whole arrangement so you can mess with these things
without getting the whole bundle of joy back in your lap.

use the unionis or ferncos below your ball valve....

2. I am not sure but you might want to look into the new
spring loaded 2 inch "quiet check valves" that dont make
the un-godly jolt to the system when it shuts down...

they are very nice indeed.

I think that they are ok for that you are doing....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A. Y. Mcdonald
2066S-2 - "Silent" Union Swing Check - Socket Ball Valve Combo

http://www.aymcdonald.com/ProdList_Plumbing.cfm?getgroup=73&sendCat=13

2066S.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks