Codes minimum size and opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
What is your opinion on putting the toilet in a separate room in the bathroom. I think that it would be a nice feature as people could use the toilet in privacy while another is taking a shower etc.

What is the minimum size the room should be if the room has one toilet and one door that opens outward. The room would be shaped like a rectangle with the toilet one one side of the room and the door on the other side opening outward. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code says a minimum of 15" either side of the toilet centerline - a minimum of a 30" wide space... I don't remember the minimum distance in front. This may mean you want either two exhaust fans or a remote fan with multiple inlets. Personally, it doesn't bother me and cleaning a small, often dark room with a toilet can be a pain. A window in there can help.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might consider something like a 4' wall and making it more of a stall than a room. Space on the sides must still be 15" or more from the center of the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
room

MANY homes are being constructed with a separate room for the toilet. It is usually 3' wide but can be as small as 30". Unless the door opens outward, 5' is about as small as the length can be and still swing the door inward, (and even then you might have to stand on the toilet to close the door).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks