(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Codes minimum size and opinion

Default Codes minimum size and opinion

What is your opinion on putting the toilet in a separate room in the bathroom. I think that it would be a nice feature as people could use the toilet in privacy while another is taking a shower etc.

What is the minimum size the room should be if the room has one toilet and one door that opens outward. The room would be shaped like a rectangle with the toilet one one side of the room and the door on the other side opening outward. Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Code says a minimum of 15" either side of the toilet centerline - a minimum of a 30" wide space... I don't remember the minimum distance in front. This may mean you want either two exhaust fans or a remote fan with multiple inlets. Personally, it doesn't bother me and cleaning a small, often dark room with a toilet can be a pain. A window in there can help.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 07-02-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: clarity
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

You might consider something like a 4' wall and making it more of a stall than a room. Space on the sides must still be 15" or more from the center of the toilet.

Default room

MANY homes are being constructed with a separate room for the toilet. It is usually 3' wide but can be as small as 30". Unless the door opens outward, 5' is about as small as the length can be and still swing the door inward, (and even then you might have to stand on the toilet to close the door).