Dirty water in house

Users who are viewing this thread

lucasm1

Reaction score
I am trying to help with my brother in law's well water problem. What I know is it is a dug well with a filter and plastic piping going into the house. The water in the well is clear, so why is the water dirty in the house.

I will try to clarify this problem as I get more information

Speedbump

Reaction score
It could be the mineral on the pipes that is causing the cloudy water.

Like you said, we will need more info.

bob...

lucasm1

Reaction score
Even on plastic piping ,would their be minerals on the inside of the pipe? If that is the problem could it be flushed? The water pressure seems to be alright, so a plugged filter probably isn't the problem. I'm just throwing out some thoughts between the two of us. The well water is clear so I assume it has to be between the well and the house. I was told their is no connections inline with the plastic piping .Maybe their is a crack in the pipe letting dirt in?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The well water is clear so I assume it has to be between the well and the house. I was told their is no connections inline with the plastic piping .Maybe their is a crack in the pipe letting dirt in?

If it is a shallow well jet pump then you can get dirt in through a crack in the suction pipe.

If the piping is iron then you can have corrosion forming that continually breaks off and shows up in the water.

The water in the well may be clear where you sample it, but that may not be where the inlet is. Is it clear at the first point where the pump delivers the water?

Apparent clarity may be affected by how you observe it. If you take a sample in a large glass and hold it up to the light it will show more stuff than if you look down into it.

You will see color or colloidal material if you put some in a large white pan and compare the color to another white pan with no water.

I worked on a system last week that had a water softener with a stuck water meter that caused it not to regenerate. The water was very dirty because there was a lot of stuff in the resin bed. We dumped the resin into a large tub, washed it, treated it with Iron-out, and replaced it in the tank. The water was clear except for flakes of rust from the iron pipes that are still in the system between the softener and faucet.

lucasm1

Reaction score
new info

Now the water is fairly clear. He pumped the water out of the well and now it is clear in the house. Can't figure it out. Before the water in the well was clear and the water in the house was dirty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks