Toto Drake Water Surface

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckR

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Toto Drake toilet to replace a 1966 toilet. The Specs for this toilet shows Water Surface 10-3/8" x 8-1/4". The dealer here has a Toto Drake connected so you can see the flush action. This toilet has no water surface. All of the water in the bowl after a flush is down in the opening of the trap. What does the 10-3/8" x 8_1/4" Water Surface Spec mean?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the demo toilet has no water in the bowl, then it is not connected properly. I don't see how the dealer can show how the toilet operates with not water. Any toilet, when properly installed, should have water in the bowl. This is called the water spot or water surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

If you go back to the dealer, you can do them a big favor by reclipping the black fill tube so that it points into the overflow tube.
That is what puts water into the bowl.

Reaction score
Water surface definition

The water surface is the area in the bowl.
The smaller the water surface, the more opportunity that "stuff" you deposit into the toilet will hit the sides.
The more your "stuff" hits the sides, the more you clean up the "stuff".

The older toilets had a fairly large water surface compared to many newer poorly designed toilets.
Go with the Toto

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks