Connecting to City Sewer Main

Users who are viewing this thread

jaxbldginspector

Reaction score
The City made a new tap and extended a 4" PVC lateral from the center of the street to my property line. Their main is about 3 or 4' deep. I only have to run my new 4" sewer line approximately 10 to 15' to connect to theirs.
My sewer pipe is about 12" deep coming from under the house. Do I use two 45's to turn down to tie onto their line? I am using the 1/4" per foot method for my fall.

Thanks for your help you guys are great!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Skip the 45s altogether and use more grade for the sewer. You can get enough bend at each joint to line things up. If you need more joints to male the angles you can cut the pipes to 5 ft lengths and use couplings but you can probably just make the connections with standard lengths of pipe.

Contrary to some "old-plumbers tales" a steep grade on an individual service will not be a problem.

There are often maximum grades on municipal sewers to avoid high velocity at manholes and erosion that can occur in concrete pipes but there is not enough flow in yours to matter.

I have seen 45 degree slopes in internal plumbing and it isn't a problem.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I concur. Two eighth bends. Or, two sixteenth bends - even easier to get through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks