Best Wood Floor finish?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Hey all,

Have a rental unit that is oak floor throughout, but fir floor in the kitchen. After 3 tenancies I haven't had to do anything (other than clean) the oak floors, but am about to refinish the kitchen fir floor for the 3rd time.

Any recommends for a clear wood finish product that really will protect a soft wood floor?

Thanks in advance!

GregO

Reaction score
softwood oak

Other than a factory finished floor using aluminum oxide, polyurethane (several coats) is the best finish I know of.

Greg

Hey all,

Have a rental unit that is oak floor throughout, but fir floor in the kitchen. After 3 tenancies I haven't had to do anything (other than clean) the oak floors, but am about to refinish the kitchen fir floor for the 3rd time.

Any recommends for a clear wood finish product that really will protect a soft wood floor?

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Diamond Varathane is an excellent product. I don't like wood in the kitchen, but of course for the first 250 or so years of our countries history, that's all we had! In a rental situation, it is hard to control the proper care and cleaning of the kitchen. Just one of the costs of being a landlord. Those floors, especially if it is old quarter-sawn fir, it is probably a beautiful floor, so the value of that beauty probably exceeds your occasional maintenance costs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks