(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Best Wood Floor finish?

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial digital cameras (aka machine vision) gdog's Avatar

Default Best Wood Floor finish?

Hey all,

Have a rental unit that is oak floor throughout, but fir floor in the kitchen. After 3 tenancies I haven't had to do anything (other than clean) the oak floors, but am about to refinish the kitchen fir floor for the 3rd time.

Any recommends for a clear wood finish product that really will protect a soft wood floor?

Thanks in advance!

Default softwood oak

Other than a factory finished floor using aluminum oxide, polyurethane (several coats) is the best finish I know of.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gdog View Post
    Hey all,

Have a rental unit that is oak floor throughout, but fir floor in the kitchen. After 3 tenancies I haven't had to do anything (other than clean) the oak floors, but am about to refinish the kitchen fir floor for the 3rd time.

Any recommends for a clear wood finish product that really will protect a soft wood floor?

Thanks in advance!

Diamond Varathane is an excellent product. I don't like wood in the kitchen, but of course for the first 250 or so years of our countries history, that's all we had! In a rental situation, it is hard to control the proper care and cleaning of the kitchen. Just one of the costs of being a landlord. Those floors, especially if it is old quarter-sawn fir, it is probably a beautiful floor, so the value of that beauty probably exceeds your occasional maintenance costs.