(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sewerage/sulphur smell in house?

Smile Sewerage/sulphur smell in house?

Hello,

I am renting a house in Homestead, FL while I am working on a project here.

The house stinks like sewerage or sulphur? I have poured bleach down all the drains, didn't work. I had a water softner and whole house water filteration system installed, that didn't work ?

I've had the water system for about a week, still stinks in the house.

What do you guys think I should do next?

Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Do you smell anything outside in the yard? Where is the vent on the roof and how much sticks out above it? Do you have city sewer or a septic system?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Sorry, been out of town.

I am on city sewerage. I don't smell anything outside. Vent pipes look good as far as I can tell, from ground viewing.

House is a single story home.

Contacted a local plumbing company today. They said they can do a smoke test through the vents on the roof to find the source of the smell.

Cost is $300.00 to do the test?? Sound good?

Thanks

Not really yet. You may have and issue with Sulfate Reducing Bacteria in your water supply. If that is your problem smoke testing will do nothing for your problem. http://www.google.com/search?q=sulph...rch&hl=en&sa=2
    Last edited by Redwood; 07-21-2008 at 07:18 AM.

I don't know.. I have smelled the water from the faucet outside, It doesn't have a bad smell to it.

Its possible that its in the water heater. I'd say test for it any way.

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    Hello,

I am renting a house in Homestead, FL while I am working on a project here.

The house stinks like sewerage or sulphur? I have poured bleach down all the drains, didn't work. I had a water softner and whole house water filteration system installed, that didn't work ?

I've had the water system for about a week, still stinks in the house.

What do you guys think I should do next?

Thanks
    I had a faucet smell of sulphur once. Does the house smell all the time or only when you run water or something else.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

i remember going up to my friends farm which used well water and the sulphur smell there was pretty bad and you had to clear the taps for a bit each time you went up there. I spoke to my lecturer about it and he said it was a bacteria solution, basically you have a thing of sulphate down in the well and the bacteria love the stuff and eat it and make sulphur dioxide and up your pipes it goes. But the bad bacteria remain in the well and don't come up the pipe.

Anyway, a bit off topic and probably doesn't relate to your case

Have a whole house water filter and softner installed on water line entering house. I don't smell it in the water.

As soon as I walk into the house every day, it has an odor.

I figure tub drains, washing machine drain, toilet wax rings ?( tile on all floors in bathrooms, no stains around toilet where tile meets toilet?) All sinks have p-traps installed?

I don't know?

Well the reason we are having trouble with this is a suphur smell usually is a water problem, and a sewage problem usually smells like poop.

the two never seem to meet unless someone is poopin and burning matches thinking it covers the stench.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Well the reason we are having trouble with this is a suphur smell usually is a water problem, and a sewage problem usually smells like poop.

the two never seem to meet unless someone is poopin and burning matches thinking it covers the stench.

.. A friend in my neighborhood a few houses down, doesn't have the smell in his house. Another person I know on the same side of the street as me, doesn't smell in his house. It may be the water may not? I'm going to find out soon, if its the shitter or the water...lol

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Could the smell be coming from the hot water side of your faucets only?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
    Could the smell be coming from the hot water side of your faucets only?
    I don't see how since I have the water going into the hot water heater filtered and softened. I drained the hot water heater when I had the softner and filter put in.

Have your water tested for SRB's

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    I don't see how since I have the water going into the hot water heater filtered and softened.
    I also filter and soften my water, but quickly determined it was in the hot water only. It's a very common problem.

First, verify this suspicion by smelling both the hot (only) and cold (only) in a shower, sink, or wherever. Oddly, results may differ at different fixtures. If it is in fact the hot water,

1) try pouring a quart or so of hydrogen peroxide into the water heater. Let it sit for a while and see what happens over the next day or 2. No need to drain the WH. If the smell goes away, you've found the source but fixed it only temporarily.

2) for a permanent fix, replace the anode rod with either an aluminum or aluminum/zinc/tin rod specially-designed to combat this problem. Google "anode rod smell" to find a number of sites that explain the problem and sell these rods, which are usually hard to find locally. I use an aluminum rod (which some sites say won't work -- they're wrong) that I bought for about $20, plus a couple bucks for shipping. Since you soften your water, the anode rod will have to be replaced more often. How old is your WH?

3) and/or raise the WH temperature to above 140F. This has the positive side-effect of preventing growth of legionella bacteria, but it produces scalding water, and raises your electric/gas bill.