Retiling Bathroom Walls

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm retiling my shower/bath walls and have removed the old tile and drywall. My problem is this....the old backer board is 5/8" thick, but I can only find 1/4" or 1/2" thick backer board for the new install. How can I get the old and the new to match up a the joints and how much of a pain in the rear will this be?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Use 1/2" ( 1/4 is too thin ) and fur out the studs with thin strips to make the levels match up.

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
I forgot to mention this is my first time doing this, so what does "fur out the studs" mean and I'm assuming that's for all studs...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your backer board is thinner than you need, so you put some thin strips of wood on each stud. You have to get strips of just the right thickness to put the surface of the new board flush with the old board.

Sometimes you can find what are called lath strips in the lumber yard, just the right thickness. Sometimes you have to rip the strips on a table saw.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You also want a vapor barrier installed behind the cbu that laps down over the tiling flange of the tub. A good place for help on tiling things is www.johnbridge.com.

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I was wondering about the vapor barrier. I've seen several people talk about adding it, but I've noticed it was never installed when this place was built. It's 20 years old now, so maybe they didn't do it back then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks