Florecent light question

Users who are viewing this thread

R_2016

Reaction score
Hi, I have a fluorescent light (tube) that only lights on the ends of the bulb, my guess is that the ballast is bad, can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Tundra

Reaction score
Replace the lamp....if it doesn't work....replace the ballast.

If the room is really cold this could have the same effect but this is not likely the case.

Make sure that it is the proper lamp for the ballast....it will say on the ballast what type of tube you need.

t

pudge565

Reaction score
I always replace all the lamps in the fixture at the same time. that way I know all of the lamps are good. A floruesent lamp can light on only one filament but the ballast will be huffing and puffing to light it. Cuts down on ballast life dramatically.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is easiest to do in a commercial building which has several flourescent fixtures. You can just swap out bulbs with another fixture. If they all work, then problem is usually ballast.

Sometimes new bulbs out of the box don't work. Try replacing all bulbs if you don't have another fixture to swap out bulbs with. Then re-install one bulb at a time to see which works and which does not.

Some flourescent fixtures have "flakey" wiring going to the end sockets. These wires are "pressed" into metal clips which cut into the wire or pushed into a clip which holds the bare end of the wire. Sometimes these wires come loose. I've seen brand new fixtures out of the box with one or more of these wires hanging loose! So like many things I buy these days, I need to fix it to get it to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks