Vibrations in plumbing lines

Users who are viewing this thread

DuneSlider

Reaction score
My house is a little over two years old and just after the one year mark a vibration started in the plumbing lines when water is turned on. At first is wasn't too big of a deal so I didn't worry about it. It only did it on cold days and once it warmed up it would stop.

It has gotten worse to where it does it all the time and nothing seems to help.

I have pex plumbing (or some other brand but pex style) It is copper coming through the foundation but I assume that is normal. There seems to be a slight "pulse" to the water coming out of the tap. I can't pinpoint the vibration to a certain area, it vibrates so bad you can feel it in the floors.

There is a ball valve that is used to turn the water off just inside the foundation. If I close the valve slightly the vibrations seem less strong and not as frequent.

Any ideas where the problem would be?

Thanks,
Bryan

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer, but it sounds as if it may be a faulty Pressure Reducing Valve on your main supply line, among other possiblilties. If it's a PRV, it might be adjusted or it may have to be replaced.
Are you on public water? Do you know if you have a PRV?
What is the water pressure at the meter on the public side? (Call the public supplier.)
What is the water pressure at your home? (Test with an inexpensive gauge that fits on a hose spigot.
Mike

DuneSlider

Reaction score
I was curious if the PRV could be could be the problem. I will try adjusting it and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip!

Bryan

DuneSlider

Reaction score
The locknut wasn't tight, so I am guessing the adjustment has slowly been going out. Adjusted it and tightened the locknut, initial test showed no vibrations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks