1" poly pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I went to M3nards to look for a black 1" poly pipe. They don't have it. The polypipe I saw at Home Depot was only 1/2". Where can I buy them? And are they expensive?

Thanks,

Neil

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The tubing you see at home depot is probably not poly pipe. They sell 2 different things....drip irrigation tubing, which is not suitable for main service, and "funny pipe"....a very heavy wall tubing used for sprinler head installs; also not suitable for main service because it uses only push-in fittings, not clamped fittings.

Poly pipe is available from a plumbing supply, and probably also an irrigation supply dealer.

Msgale

Reaction score
HD does sell some poly pipe..

i have seen it there, in lower pressure ratings
Keep in mind, however there are different wall thcknesses, corrsesponding w different pressure ratings.
and the thickest wall, highest pressure pipe is not easy to insert fittings into, need a hot water bath first.

also, there are probably some rules for pressure ratings of pipe to be buried

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I found 1" poly pipes for $75 at 300 ft. I have not ordered yet. I found it from a guy who does patio installation and landscaping. They also install irrigation.

Anyways, the head that I would like to use is either RainBird 52SA ord 5505S. Both models use 3/4" NPT or BSP female threaded inlet. So, what do I need to attach the sprinkler head to the 1" poly pipe?

Thanks!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found 1" poly pipes for $75 at 300 ft. I have not ordered yet. I found it from a guy who does patio installation and landscaping. They also install irrigation.

Anyways, the head that I would like to use is either RainBird 52SA ord 5505S. Both models use 3/4" NPT or BSP female threaded inlet. So, what do I need to attach the sprinkler head to the 1" poly pipe?

Thanks!

You typically connect sprinkler heads to the 1" poly pipe using a tee that has 1" insert connections on the run (straight through the tee) and a 1/2" or 3/4" female pipe thread on the branch (the side of the tee). If you are at the end of the line you use a female elbow.

You screw a nipple or riser into that branch outlet and connect the sprinkler head.

I have found that schedule 80 PVC nipples are a lot more rugged and reliable than the risers sold at many stores like HD. You can buy assorted lengths of Schedule 80 nipples from Grainger.

If you can't find the fittings at HD you can usually get them at a plumbing supply or irrigation place. I get mine from a house that specializes in plastic pipe; Portland Plastic Pipe in Portland, Maine. They don't have a web site. They don't even have email!

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I know how schedule pvc 80 looks like. Most of them are color gray. The schedule 40 are always white.

Anyways, picture below is a sched 80 pvc nipple. Hopefully, the image I posted is correct.

I understand the connection from nipple to sprinkler head. However, I'm a bit lost on how I will connect the nipple to the 1" poly pipe since there is no thread on the pipe. What am I missing? Maybe, if you post a picture, I will understand it more clearer. Thanks.

wg3840a.jpg

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ah, I found a nice picture. :D

Check this out. So what is that black piece called that is in between the green riser and the polyethelene pipe?

200606_RelocateSprinkler_1_size2.jpg

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a link that contains some pictures.
http://www.cornerhardware.com/poly_pipe_and_insert_fittings/6748_6961_7831

The part that you want is called an INSERT REDUCING COMBINATION TEE.

You can get them for 1" pipe where the branch outlet is 1/2", 3/4", or 1" FPT (female pipe thread).

If it is at the end of the line you can get an elbow that has a threaded side and an INSERT side. It is called a FEMALE ELBOW or just FEMALE EL.

I have seen them at HD.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here is a link that contains some pictures.
http://www.cornerhardware.com/poly_pipe_and_insert_fittings/6748_6961_7831

The part that you want is called an INSERT REDUCING COMBINATION TEE.

You can get them for 1" pipe where the branch outlet is 1/2", 3/4", or 1" FPT (female pipe thread).

If it is at the end of the line you can get an elbow that has a threaded side and an INSERT side. It is called a FEMALE ELBOW or just FEMALE EL.

I have seen them at HD.

Awesome!!! Those pictures from the link you gave to me really helped a lot. I see tons of them at Nemards. Looks like I also need to buy a tool that will crimp that circle metal.

Thank you so much!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Those pictures from the link you gave to me really helped a lot. I see tons of them at Nemards. Looks like I also need to buy a tool that will crimp that circle metal.

Thank you so much!

Most use a screw clamp. They don't need a special tool except a screwdriver or nutdriver. It is handy if you have a battery powered drill.

If the kind that need a tool are much less expensive then you may want to buy the tool.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The one I saw(was a video), the guy used a crimping tool. However, I think I will just buy the one which uses screw. That's what I used for my garden hose when I broke the end. It's cheaper too. I should just make sure that I should get stainless steel, something that will not rust.

Thanks for the idea. :)

EDIT:

This is exactly the same what I used for my garden hose. Hopefully that's what you were referring too.

705.jpg

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I went to M3nards and saw the parts I need. I was able to find the 3/4" threaded elbows to 1" that will fit the 1" poly pipe, the 3/4" riser, etc. While I was there, I decided to try 1" riser, 1" elbow but I wasted/lost a lot of time and did not have luck finding the parts and volting them together. So for that very short length maybe 12" of 3/4" diameter, will there be a huge impact on the pressure and gpm?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks