a very stuck tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

lostnewbie

Reaction score
hey all, i am trying to install a shower and yesterday we got 3 of the walls put up, and the frame of the wall behind the bathtub completed, but when it came to adding the new shower pieces the darn tub spout will not budge.

4 of us have tried everything from oiling it, using damp towels, rubber grips, hammer handles, and basically every kind of handle you can imagine that would fit into it's opening and turning counter clockwise.

it will not budge, not even a centimeter. and the problem now if that if we try to turn it the pipe that comes out of the female part of the plumbing turns and ends up in the appearance of the pipe bending.

i have bought a new tub spout in case we break this one during removal and right now i am so frustrated i just want it off.

it is a twist on and we asked the guy who installed it what magical secret he used. he claimed just plumbers tape and a few twists.

is there a way i would be able to cut it out w/out having the replace the female joint in the plumbing? or perhaps any other tips or tricks?

lostnewbie

Reaction score
update:

it does not have an allen wrench lock, nor was it screwed on. the person who put it on used caulking to seal it instead of plumbers tape.

we will be sawing it off this weekend, any tips on how to do that?

anybody?

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Tub spouts are made to be either screwed onto a male threaded fitting or held on by a rubber seal and allen set screw on straight pipe.
If somebody filled it with caulk between the pipe and the spout, you're going to have the problem that you're having. If it were me, I would saw off the outer end of the spout with a reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade and gut the caulk out.
After you get all the caulk out, have removed the spout, and cleaned off the pipe (which should be straight and soldered into the other end), hopefully, you will be able to install one of the slide-on kind with the set screw.
If that pipe has been twisted, I'm afraid that you're going to have to sweat in a new piece (assuming that it's copper).
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks