Extension Pipe Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

BillM

Reaction score
Good morning, all!

I've got a basic question: In process of new bathroom vanity install.....

I cut the old trap off of the actual wall pvc pipe, since it was cemented on x 30 years ago? and there was no other way to get it off?

Now, I am ready to install a 1 1/2" extension pipe, into the 2" existing pvc pipe (that comes out of the wall, connected to the 'main plumbing', behind the vanity......this 1 1/2 inch extension pipe will allow for my Trap connection, once established......

My question is: There seems to be some 'loose' space when inserting the 1 1/2 inch pipe into the 2 inch pvc? Is this normal, to accomodate cement application? or......should I seek out the 'perfect fit' pipe? Local HD supply didn't have anything that made the exact fit......the standard stuff was just that "standard".....fits nicely, brand new to brand new......but, I don't have that option......need to work with existing PVC (2 inches outside to outside measure, and basically 1 1/2 inch interior measure)......maybe I'm overthinking this, but I don't want to create a plumbing nightmare, while I still have the chance to do this right.....

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!

-Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you are using the right parts! Use a Desanko fitting glued onto the pipe stub coming out of the wall. It has a compression nut and ring on it, then you slide the tubular pipe from the drain into it. This also makes it easier since you don't have to be precise in measurement, since it does slide.

BillM

Reaction score
Thank you......does that Desanko fitting go 'over' or 'into' the existing wall pipe? The setup previously was 1 1/2 inch pipe 'into' this wall PVC pipe.....maybe was set up wrong in the first place?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fitting fits over the pipe, then the piece from the drain fits into this. This works with tubular drains, which is most of them. If it fit inside, there wouldn't be much of any room. A glued up one might need a coupler and I think there are 1.5-1.25 adapters.

This page shows the fitting in brass, but they are available in pvc to glue on...http://www.fwwebb.com/pdf/2003pasco/pas_b-23-b-24.pdf

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The picture below shows what you need to hook up the trap. I do not believe that you will find one that is 2" X 1 1/2" slip joint. You will have to reduce to 1 1/2" with either a bushing or, a reducing coupling.

503666.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thing is, small pipes do not fit inside of larger pipes with a fit that will allow them to be glued. It requires a fitting to reduce the large size to the small size. That's why the 1-1/2" pipe is loose inside the 2". It not intended or possible to be joined that way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

IF you are describing you situation correctly and you DO have a 2" pipe, the 1 1/2" will not fasten into it. BUT if you can find a 2" Top Kap cleanout adapter, it will glue into the 2" pipe and then you can use a 1 1/2" brass Marvel/DeSanko/trap adapter screwed into it to connect your trap.

BillM

Reaction score
My initial mistake was that I didn't understand Plumbing basics-101 to begin with.......I discovered from a trip to a local specialty plumbing supply, that what I had done was to actually cut though the Desanko, which was fit like a glove over the existing wall pipe......to make this right, I cut out an access hole in the sheetrock of the wall, to give enough room to cut the elbow off of the plumbing wall pipe (the one that is running horizontally through the studs)......so, that will basically get me back to square one.......I will cut that elbow off, losing about 1/2"??? and then will reattach a new elbow, and a new wall extension pipe, along with a new Desanko, and all of the trimmings.....I think this will be cleanest method......definitely learning as I go!
Thanks for all of the advice! Wow! You can really do a lot of damage with a hacksaw blade against PVC pipe!!! Biggest lesson learned.......research before you start........and understand what your doing!!!!

MikeA

Reaction score
Extension Pipe from Trap to tail piece/pipe Question

I hope it's ok to add a question to this thread, I thought it made more sense to tag it on here rather than starting a new one.

I'm facing a similar situation for a Kitchen Sink with dishwasher attached.
This is the set up: the strainer body connects to the tail piece with a metal ring & rubber washer/ring and tightened with thumb screws. Then the 1 1/2" tail pipe slides into a 2" PVC pipe which is connected to the trap. The connection from the extension pvc pipe to the pvc trap is mended together some how (something clear colored) and I prefer not to break it unless necessary. The top of the PVC that the tail piece slides is unthreaded.
Here's the problem: The new tail piece is the same 1 1/2" as the old one, but when I went to put it back into the 2" pvc it had some play where as it didn't with the old one. (I think over time stuff filled that space in.) I'm hoping to just replace the tail piece to the existing plumbing.

Should I use the same adivse you gave to Bill? Which Desanko fitting would I use? Male/Female? Copper or PVC? Do you have any other advise other advise?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks