Big Trouble In Little China (plz help)

Users who are viewing this thread

Captain Compost

Reaction score
Howdy Bathroom Experts! I need some of your wisdom to help me through a time of need. I live in Los Angeles, and when I moved into my apartment last August i noticed that the toilet had a very powerful flush (*it's a Sloane Flushmate 503 in a Kohler American Standard brand toilet). However, over the past month the flush has been getting progressively weaker and weaker--you'd have to wait 5 minutes for the toilet "filling up ' sound to stop, and for the past 2 days...no flush at all. This is bad.

I tried following the instructions on the Sloane website, and achieved no success.

The toilet sounds like one of those "soothing" desk fountains, with a constant flow/trickle of water. When you press the handle to flush it, nothing happens. However a small amount of water is flowing at a steady rate on the right by the yellow caution tape:

flushmate_front.jpg

what should I do? I left a message for the Sloane customer assistance dept, and I just don't want to bug my landlord unless absolutely necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
A continuous leak from the horizontal "cap" on the upper supply is typically a symptom of insufficient water pressure or an obstruction in the inlet filter screen in the threaded shank your water supply line is connected to.

These two factors could also cause the vertical "cap" to leak but debris build up on or degradation of the rubber valve under the vertical "cap" could also be the cause.

In the first scenario, the water doesn't enter the system with enough force to close the vacuum breaker (horizontal cap) and in the second scenario the air inducer valve (vertical cap) that draws in the necessary volume of air as the water flows past it is either not fully opening to allow sufficient air draw or not fully closing to retain the air.

Based on the serial number on your Flushmate and a little Q&A, the tech who returns your call should be able to help you identify the actual cause and assist with a resolution.

In the meantime, I hope this info is helpful.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Kohler and American Standard are two different companies. When looking for parts it will be important to specify which you have.

If you wish to fix this yourself, then google "flushmate parts" and you will find a company called Guillens, who can provide everything you need. Local plumbing specialty stores ( not HD or Lowes) can also get parts.
To get the correct parts, they will need to know the brand of toilet, and also the Sloan model number on that black tank.

At this point, I would suggest an overhaul of the unit, which involves replacing all the active parts. One item is the cartridge, the piece on top which you push to flush. The other is called the "supply group" which is all the parts from where the water line connects to the porcelain tank, all the way up and into the black tank. If you replace all these parts, which will cost you about $75 to $100 total, your toilet may give you many years of good service.

If you are not handy with repairs like this, please call in a plumber. If you make a mistake here, there is the potential to have a big leak in your apartment.

Captain Compost

Reaction score
Problem solved

thank-you.jpg

edit:

For reference the problem was at the back ( where the water connection connects at the back) , turned off the water, disconnected the water connection tube, took out the white filter, removed the other little thing jammed in there (which I think Scott referred to as the inlet filter screen, although I am not sure), got it out, put the white filter back in, turned the water back on, the thank then filled up, worked out. I didn't even have to buy any parts. Thanks again for the help everybody

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We appreciate the thanks! And as a type 2, I appreciate the cause that those kids were rallying for, based on the shirts!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks