Another frost proof faucet probem

Users who are viewing this thread

Oscar Cook

Reaction score
The house is 25 years old, and I moved in 12 years ago. The problem began as a small leak around the metal sleeve, marked “X†in the picture, but only when the water was turned on. Now it’s a gusher. This may only be a washer problem, but I’m not sure how to remove the stem.

I think at one time there was a handle which was fastened on with the screw in the front. It may have broken, in which case the previous owner (who botched everything he did) removed the handle and put the screw back in. It is now corroded in place.

I don’t know if the pipe going in is galvanized or copper. I don’t know if I should try to unscrew anything at that large “nut†on the faucet. I think it is molded to the rest of the faucet. (I know to turn off the water and hold opposite on faucet while unscrewing. Actually, I don’t know WHAT to do).

To turn the water on, you have to turn that round tube with a pair of channel locks and take a bath. Any help, advice, or suggestion is appreciated.

porch-faucet-3.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd think about a nice new one... One that has a handle and doesn't leak!

NEWC144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
There's a chance it can be repaired. The first problem is to get the remains of the handle off. Finding a handle could be difficult.

But the big nut is part of a packing and tightening it will possibly stop the leak. The biggest problem is if the stem is damaged - scratches or bent stem will continually wear the packing. if the packing is too far gone to tighten, it can be replaced.

This does nothing for the condition of the washer deep within the faucet. That could also be replaced, with turning off the water.

Nor does it do anything for the wear on the faucet. The brass threads wear on the stem or the faucet and can strip. Your best bet is a new hydrant. Remember, it probably goes back into the wall about 12" and can be difficult to get out of the brick. Access is necessary from inside the house - and that can be difficult, too.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This faucet may be repairable, but unless you are super pinched for money and have a ton of time on your hands with nothing else to do, I question that it would be worth it. In the time you find repair parts, and that's assuming that you can, disassemble the faucet, and install the parts, you could have a new faucet installed and in operation while you sit in the shade sipping a cold one. It seems most likely that you will have to remove the old one which means accessing the connection under the house. After doing all of that to maybe fix the old faucet, you could be faced with doing it all over if it still leaked.

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
It's a Prier C-134 hydrant.

You need a packing kit (C-134KT-803) to repair your leak, and a handle kit (C-134KT-805) to fix the handle. Ask your local plumbing wholesaler.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks