Decision Made...Going to Electric Hot Water Tank. A Few Questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeangelini

Reaction score
Hello all,

After reading many posts here on the forum, I am going to switch over to electric hot water. I have some specific questions. Here is some background info:

-1300 sq. foot house in PA.
-Currently using 3 year old Weil-Mclain Gold boiler with Honeywell 8124 Aquastat, and an on demand coil. 2 heating zones.
-The boiler is located in the garage in unconditioned space. (the hot water tank will be right next to the boiler.
-2 adults one child in house. IMO, we use an above average amount of hot water for that size family.
-Buying a 50 gallon Whirlpool or Rheem electric hot water heater (.92 efficiency) 6 year warranty. The cheaper model Depot or Lowes.

Questions:

1. After talking to my heating oil comany, I was told that I can convert my boiler to a cold start by removing the blue wire, and setting the high cut-off to 160*. Is this the correct procedure?

2. Is it a good idea to go to cold start?

3. If I DO go to cold start, is there any condensation issues or any other issues associated with having a hot water tank in a colder space? (the boiler room is currently always hot because the boiler is at temperature all the time.)

4. I want to disconnect the on demand coil. Will it be more efficient to empty the water contents of the coil, or leave it full of water?

5. What is the best way to button up the coil? (Caps, blow-offs, etc.)

6. Since the hot water heater will be in unconditioned space, should I wrap the tank with insulation? Can this cause any issues?

Thanks a lot. You guys are a lot of help, and I appreciate any advice you may have.

Mike Angelini~

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can disconnect the coil and blow it out if you want. It will soon evaporate if you don't blow it out.

After you blow it out you could cap it tightly so if it leaks it won't be a problem. I would not try to remove it from the boiler.

You can wrap the electric water heater to save a little energy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks