Adding Bathroom to detached garage

Users who are viewing this thread

BoatMonkey

Reaction score
hi all, im new to the forum.

I have a home that has a detached garage. I have checked with the city and I would like to install a bathroom in this garage and finish it out for a guest house. I would like to install 4 fixtures. The detached garage is of course a concrete slab. Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to: bust out the concrete approx 7'x2', run plumbing and connect to existing(main house) sewer line and run new water line and connect to main house water line?

My thoughts are around $3,000.
Too high or too low???????

Thanks to everyone in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bathroom

It's a start. but you do not give enough information to give you a price, even if we lived in the same city you do. The only one who can give a "good" price is someone who comes to your house, sees where you are putting the four fixtures, and how far, and difficult, they have to run the sewer and water to make connections.

BoatMonkey

Reaction score
thanks for the reply

i will hire a concrete cutting company to come out and cut the hole in the slab. I would estimate that the plumber will have to trench approx 30' to the existing line and it is a clear path with no obstructions or concrete between the new bathroom and existing lines.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
room

Don't cut the concrete until the plumber draws the lines where to cut. Your idea of how the pipes can go in, and his about how they have to be installed may not agree.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
braines first.

bufore you guesstimate how someone is gong to do this job for you and start cutting out concrete,

it would be very wise to call a couple of plumbers out and let them figure out the best way to do this job.....they do it every day....

find a few that give free estimates or charge just a small fee and dont try to second guess the project.

they might have better ideas than you on how to do this job.

good luck either way.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Free estimates are sort of a pain.

you really got to weed out the losers on the phone before going out on an estimate these days , especially if it is free.

Have you ever got into a pissing contest with some one that doesent know what the hell they are talking about????

you go out to their house as a courtesy to estimate sometihng and you get confronted by some Barney Fieif , know it all , fireman brother in law.
(thats probably going to do the work)

usually , I try to just politely back out the door and be on my merry way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Estimates can be a pian, but you do get some good leads, ect if you are willing to put up with a little trouble once in a while.

I especially like when they want a free estimate and expect you at their house (20 mile one way trip) between the hours of 6.30 and 7.30 pm.

We have other things to do on Satruday morning and its the only time we can fit you in is late in the evening.

Usually I have to tell them that the estimate is at MY convienance unless they want to pay about $75 . That usually cools their jets and or they find someone else.

Once a lady wanted me to come out to her home on a satruday for a bathroom estimate, a 20 mile trip one way , I told her I could be there at 9am..

she did not want me to come till 2pm... I found out she had appointments with about 6 other people lined up that whole morning.

I told her I would be there at 2pm sharp , and she is still waiting.

I guess it really depends on how sinscere and willing the customer is to actually use you in the first place. Usually that can be found out by simply communicating with them on the first call, by asking them fairly blunt but polite questions , if they refuse to be open with you , you got your answer.

after a while, you can just smell trouble before you ever step in it.

Last edited:

BoatMonkey

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys.
i will get a couple of guys to do this and decide on the best qualified/price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks