Iron filter vs. water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I have problems with iron staining in all my sinks and toilets. I thought I needed to replace my very old water softener that doesn't cycle correctly any more. But the guy who installs water softeners tested my water and said I have 4 parts iron, and water softeners only take out 2 parts. He recomended that if I could choose only one of them, an iron filter with potassium is the way to go instead of a water softener. I don't know anything about iron filters. Is he correct in saying that water softeners won't take out all the iron, and an iron filter would be better for me?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would go with his recommendation. If Iron and not hardness is the problem its a no-brainer.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
He's wrong and since you mention "potassium" he is proposing a manganese greensand filter and the industry is trying to get away from them due to Potssium Permanganate being a serious poison. I sell softeners built to remove up to 5 ppm of iron, and whatever hardness is in the water. I've been doing it for over 20 years. And I sell them for much less than a local dealer can.

You're better off replacing the softener.

Rburt5

Reaction score
I don't know what the hardness is. He didn't say. But we do get deposits on dishes in the dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks