Baseboard heat behind toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadduck99

Reaction score
I just moved into a house that was built in the 1970's and is equipped with 30+ year-old toilets. I decided to improve on water efficiency and performance and purchased a couple of Toto Aquias. Upon installation, I realized a problem - my tiny bathrooms have baseboard heaters behind the toilet, and the Aquia needs pretty much every bit of the 12" rough-in for floor space. I only have about 10" available. Alternatively I could move the baseboard heaters (the only heat in those rooms), but that's not an optimal solution.

I went to the hardware store where I purchased the Toto and was told that it appears all Totos have this problem. They also sell Kohler, so we looked at the specs, and it looks like the Wellworth leaves enough space for the baseboards. I was all set to go in that direction, but in looking here, I don't see a ton of enthusiasm for the Wellworth.

So my question is, can anybody recommend a non-clogging, 12" rough-in HET that won't encroach on the 2" my baseboard heat takes up, and preferably one that won't cost tons more than the $300 +/- I spent on the Toto?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd be worried about any toilet with the baseboard sitting under it. It may never happen, but think about the porcelain getting nice and hot overnight then flushing and filling it with cold water...could be a disaster waiting to happen. Depending on how hot it got, it could mess up the wax ring, too.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tough question and I don't have a top of the head answer for you. Terry might he sees a lot more toilets than I do...

I would suggest looking down the list of HET's and visiting manufacturer websites looking at the specs for the tolets. These specs would include a dimensional drawing that with some tolerance would indicate the clearances you have to work with.

Bear in mind that the process of making a toilet involves a wet mix, molded into shape, drying, and firing. All this with shrinkage as the water is removed...
There is a definite +- tolerance somewhere along the line of measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and chop it off with an axe!
I don't want to give you false hope, the very nature of the HET's seem that the large sweeping trapway be involved with the design of the toilet.

I would do anything possible to avoid the Wellworth! Have you considered relocating the baseboard or perhaps a kickspace heater under the vanity as an option. I too share the concern of cracking from thermal shock.

Last edited:

Roadduck99

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm curious about what appears to be a disconnect between the MaP rating for the Wellworth (I'm looking at the Pressure-Lite model K-3531), which is 1,000, and the commentary here that it clogs up all the time.

I also appreciate the feedback with regard to the dangers of having the heater behind the toilet. It is highly unlikely that those registers will be running at night (due to the central location of the bathrooms, along with my general stinginess with heat), and there don't appear to be any problems with the existing fixtures, but I'll take it under advisement. Moving the heat is an expense that I'm hoping to avoid!

If Terry or anybody else is aware of a HET with the needed floor clearance, I'd still appreciate the information before I choose the next course of action.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Pressure-Lite model with Flushmate flushing is a new model.
Kohler also makes a Wellworth gravity model with ingenium flushing that was poor.
Both named Wellworth,
One good, One bad.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
While the pressure assisted ones may flush good I really hate the looks customers give me when I tell them the price of what it will cost them to fix their pressure assisted toilet... They look at me like I'm robbing them!:mad:

Heck... I can't help it if they charge that much for the parts...
On one model of an Am.Std. pressure assisted toilet the stupid handle was $40 my cost!
It would have been $5 on any other toilet!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks