In-Home Electric Meters

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering adding an extra living space to my house. I have space on the existing panel, and would like to avoid a new meter. Is there a way to meter the usage independently?

Thanks for any replys
Molo

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your state public utilities commission regulates whether you as an individual can meter and separately bill a tenant for utilities. For example, they may allow you to install a submeter, but require that you pay an independent 3rd party to read and bill the usage. Anyway, there are rules, and you need to contact your utility to find out what the rules are.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I have a bunch of 2S (240V socket) meters if anyone wants some.
I also have some 12S 208 meters.

As for metering things, you can meter anything you want to, the problems only come in if you create rental units.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about your area, but in my area electric bills are quite complex in their calculation of charges.

It is not just a simple rate. They allow so much at a lower rate for electric water heaters. Then a reduced rate for the first so many kWh used. Then a higher rate after that. Then there are transmission charges which I think are the same for all electricity used. Then they tack on taxes and assorted fees what are a percentage. But a percentage of what? Lower percentage for the first so many kWh used then higher after that or straight percentage across the board of all charges including transmission charges?

Then depending on who you are (home, farm, business, industry), you get a different rate!

This has evolved over time. At one time they had a separate meter for water heaters which got a lower rate. Then they removed these and just gave everyone a reduced rate for so many kWh's for water heaters. Then someone said they should charge a lower rate for "basic" usage keeping poor people in mind. Etc., etc.

Then you may get a renter who will dispute your calculation of the charges based on how it should be calculated...

I would gladly install a separate electric company meter no matter what it cost!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
billybob's description is exactly why around here they require a qualified 3rd party to read the meters and calculate the bills. Generally, the electric company would not install a second meter at a property, unless you subdivide the property. It would cost a bundle to convice them to install a separate meter.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I looked into these. Very fancy, and they go through three levels of distribution before you get to anyone who can actually sell you one, and by then they're "several hundred" dollars. Best bet seems to be to get a meter can somewhere (Bill Arden seems to have the best deal) and a remanufactured meter ($15.50 and up from http://www.hialeahmeter.com/). Hialeah meter will also sell you a can for $10.50 and up. All prices plus shipping, I imagine.

Last edited:

Seasoned Warrior

Reaction score
Soslid State sub meters

I use these in the apartments I manage to be able to meter individual apartment units: http://www.ezmeter.com

These even have the ability to be read remotely via TCPIP. In California these meters are approved but they need to be calibrated by your County weights and measures people. I don't knwo about other States but I've used these a while and they work great. In California again to be albe to charge for the electricity you will need the meter to be able to read to 1/100th kWh which is an option from this company. The installation is quite simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks