Washer drains

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Right now the existing drain line from the house is 4" in diameter.Would that size drain line be able to accomodate the capacity of draining water from two washers? It would be fairly safe to think the waherswill not be running at the same time.If more information is needed please ask this is what i know about the drain there at this point.

Thanks all

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not only will you likely never drain both washers at the same precise time, even if you managed to the 4" drain will handle it. The old high school geometry formula for the area of a circle, PI x radius squared tell us that the area of a 4" pipe is 12.56 square inches. The area of a single 2" drain is 3.14 square inches so the the combined area of both 2" drains is 6.28 square inches. The 4" drain then has twice the capacity of what both washers could put out at one time.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Washing Machine Drains

Yeah But Gary You Left All The Other Fixtures In This House ! !
Is This House Split Into A Duplex ?
2 Kitchens Etc.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do suppose? Will every drain in the whole house be dumping full bore all at one time? Even then, you have half the area of the 4" drain available.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A 4" horizontal line properly pitched has a capacity of about 130-140 Gallons Per Minute off the top of my head...:eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Redwood. Your answer gets us out of the math textbook and into practicality. Bottom line: A 4" drain is large enough to handle any amount of water even a large household could possible put in to it.

DIY

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great replys!

Yep, Gary that old high school geometry formula popped in my thoughts to 3.14XR2.. Was just figuring code might require some weird extra addages for just in cases that might happen once every 10 paleozoic years..

Thanks all!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't have the book in front of me right now to quote numbers, but drains are designed using what are called "DFU's"....drainage fixture units.

It goes something like this: a lav sink is a 1, tub 2, toilet 3, clothes washer 3, etc. So all the DFU's are added up. A 4" pipe has a DFU rating of about 200, so you are not even close to max'd out.

I think the ratings are based on an assumed random loading. I think for example a laundromat where it could be assumed that all machines are running together, they have to do some calculations bases on gallons per minute total.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks