Myers 220v 1.5HP Pump No Flow

Users who are viewing this thread

rgapinski

Reaction score
Hi,
I just came back from vacation and wanted to use our lake water to do some pressure washing, but found no flow.

I hooked up fresh water to the outlet and primed the pump to 70psi. Normally this is all I have to do when I lose the prime. It did not work this time. Here are the steps I've taken: checked the foot valve - check valve in the lake - okay; checked the check valve next to the pump - okay; opened the pump and checked the impeller - okay; took off the pressure tank and fitted a faucet to the opening - then primed from the top - still did not cause water to be sucked. The distance from the pump to the lake is about 50 feet at an incline of about 30 deg. As I mentioned it worked 3 weeks ago and now it doesn't. Everything I've done in the past does not seem to help. As a last resort I borrowed another pump (2 hp) and installed. Still would not draw water.

The plumbing is 1 1/4" from the pump to the check valve. Then reduced down to 3/4". I know this is small but as I mentioned it did work before. The reason for the 3/4" line is originally the pump was used for a water-to-air heat pump connected to a 1 1/4" line in the 55 ft well. Several years ago the well collapsed and the well company could not guarantee that they could put a well in the same place (I didn't want to have to re-route all electrical-plumbing) so I replaced the unit with an air-to-air electric heat pump.

I was able to clean the well pipe down to 32 ft. I inserted a 3/4" pvc pipe with foot valve-check valve, primed the pump and it worked. After about 6 months I was having problems with clay so I ran a 1 1/4" pvc pipe down to the lake. Primed the pump and it worked fine. Since I already had a 3/4" pvc return pipe (from the water-to-air heat pump buried) going down to the lake I thought I could use it and not have to bury the 1 1/4" pipe, even though I would have a greatly reduced flow. So that's what I did and as I've said it worked!

Any guidance you can give me will be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks.
Ski
PA140038small.jpg

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know why its not working now, but what really amazes me is that it ever worked at all drawing through 3/4" pipe.

What is the brand and type of pump your using?

What is the actual drop in elevation from the pump to the top of water in the lake?

bob...

rgapinski

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm surprised it worked also. The pump is a 1 1/2 HP Myers which is about 25 years old. The distance from pump to water level is approximately 25 ft. if you drew a perpendicular line. However, it's about 50 ft. away from the water at a 30 deg incline. Any thoughts? Thanks for your response.
Ski

Speedbump

Reaction score
25 feet is the maximum any shallow well pump can lift water, so it's in fact 25.5 feet, it isn't going to prime. Like Gary said, lose the check valve in front of the pump and use the one at the lake only.

bob...

rgapinski

Reaction score
Hi,
What I have been doing is:
1. First fill 3/4" line through a tee fitting with threaded plug on top. This tee is approximately 8" from the check valve before the pump. Tighten plug.
2. Take fresh water and connect to spigot on outflow of pump, turn on, and pressurize to 70psi.
3. Turn off spigot, disconnect from water supply, screw on a pistol sprayer, turn 220v switch on, turn on spigot, then slowly open sprayer. When the pressure gets to 30psi the pump comes on and "usually" I get water. I may have to repeat 1 or 2 times, but in the past that's all it took.

One neighbor (retired fireman) said that maybe it worked before was because the barometric pressure was just right, or that there was slightly less "locked" air, etc. etc.

All I know is that it worked three weeks ago and now it doesn't. Strange. Any additional thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ski

PS..this sounds real dumb, but is it possible the 220v pump is wired incorrectly which would make the impeller run in the wrong direction? The only electrical item I've changed is the pressure switch - 30/50 with 2 screws center for wires to pump and 2 additional screws for wires going to 220v supply through wall. There is also a copper ground coming through supply which I screw to bottom of pressure switch. Just a thought!

rgapinski

Reaction score
Hi, I added a photo (didn't know you could do that) to help illustrate the set-up. I had a small (blue) check valve which I used before the 3 ft long well point when I ran 1 1/2" pipe down to the lake. It has a very weak spring now, but I substituted it for the larger white check valve. Still didn't work. I'm about ready to give up and use tap water. Such a waste though! Thanks.
Ski

Speedbump

Reaction score
The image didn't make it.

You are going about this all wrong. Not that you have told us that you have all these fittings including a hose bibb in the suction line, the best thing you can do is start over. First of all there should be no fittings in a suction line except the one at the pump and the one at the foot valve. This includes hose bibbs and additional (not needed) check valves. All priming is done through the pressure port of the pump not the suction side.

Try that and if it's not 25 feet vertical from impeller to top of water it should work. Not good with 3/4" suction but nevertheless it should work.

bob...

rgapinski

Reaction score
Hi,
Were you unable to see the photo? As it shows the hose bib is connected to a tee at the top (pressure?) of the tank. At the top of the tee is the pressure tank.

Is there any correlation to the possibility of the motor spinning the wrong way? Thanks for all your advice.
Ski

rgapinski

Reaction score
Update on Myers Pump problem

Hi,
It's been several weeks since I worked on the pump situation. Finally today I got the chance. I took everyone's advice and eliminated the check valve from in front of the pump, changed the foot valve at the end of the 3/4" pipe in the lake and put on a new pressure gauge. PRESTO! It works!! The only drawback is I only obtain 42 psi which isn't too bad considering. Thanks to all who replied to my posting and offering good suggestions. Now to pressure washing!!

Ski

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks