Moen - hot & cold reversed

Users who are viewing this thread

wrenchwoman

Reaction score
Hi,
I've read other discussions about hot & cold being reversed for other brands. Sounds like it's pretty much the same fix for different brands. I have not taken the cartridge out, I have only taken a wrench and turned the shaft 180 degrees but hot and cold are still reversed. (This shower was added a year ago to a house I'm selling and has never been used--we just discovered it was backwards when the inspector caught it last week).
Anyway, since I haven't taken the cartridge out I can't see what the whole thing looks like or how it operates but my question is this--can the cartridge be in wrong? Meaning do I need to rotate the entire cartridge 180? Or am I SOL if the contractor hooked up the lines in reverse and turning the shaft and/or cartridge won't make a difference?
Thanks in advance!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Turning just the stem 180 degrees does reverse the hot and cold.
How does this one work?
Pull out for on, and push in for off, turn to adjust?
Or,
Turn for on/off and cold/hot?

wrenchwoman

Reaction score
Turning just the stem 180 degrees does reverse the hot and cold.
How does this one work?
Pull out for on, and push in for off, turn to adjust?
Or,
Turn for on/off and cold/hot?

It's a single handle at 6 o'clock in the off position. Turn it counterclockwise to turn it on. I tried it a couple times and also read that it didn't matter if I turned it 180 to the left, or 180 to the right. When I did turn it, once I got to 180 degrees, it would have the water running. Is that correct? It seems to me that turning it should have gone through the water being on and back to having no water running.

mrjetskey

Reaction score
I know on our bath faucets moen single handle pull out for on,if you take handle off and turn the stem 180 degrees with pliers then put handle back on and the water is correct.In ours the stop for hot and cold is in the actual plastic knob,the cartridge doesnt matter,as long as its in and seated correctly.Hope this helps>Marvin

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That is the Moen Posi-Temp... On that one the cartridge may have to be reversed not just the stem. I'm not 100% sure just pretty damn sure, I never had to reverse one of them and the cartridge is marked on the tab with an H and a C for hot and cold sides... I'm sure that you could get a firm answer from 1-800-buy-moen.

moen_posi-temp.jpg

moen-notch-down.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wrenchwoman

Reaction score
That is the Moen Posi-Temp... On that one the cartridge may have to be reversed not just the stem. I'm not 100% sure just pretty damn sure, I never had to reverse one of them and the cartridge is marked on the tab with an H and a C for hot and cold sides... I'm sure that you could get a firm answer from 1-800-buy-moen.

That's a good idea. I'll give Moen a call. Thanks!

Rombo

Reaction score
Don't have to call moen. Reversing the cartridge will 100% resolve your problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks