Anyway not to have to tear out further?

Users who are viewing this thread

JDC

Reaction score
I'm hoping there is a way to remove the pipe at the shown joint and build from there. This would save me having to remove the ceiling below to access the plumbing not shown. However, is there a way to remove an ABS pipe from a joint and reuse the joint? Also, the existing pipe is incorrectly set at a downward pitch. Is there flexibility to move the new pipe when gluing it to get the correct pitch (I assume not)? The whole assembly won't move because it is close to another joint that merges with another shower drain. I simply cannot pull at the end of the pipe to get the correct pitch.

Thanks

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 271

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You could use a Rambit and drill it out. Personally I'd just stub it and put a coupling on then go from there. A couple of inches of a very slightly backpitched or flat pitch is really not going to hurt anything.:)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut it back some and use a coupling.
Or you can cut out the pipe from the fitting.
There are cutter tools for that,
or you can use a saw blade, cut two slices in, pry that small section out with a flatblade screwdriver, the then pop out the rest in a circle.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you do use the cut and pry method attach an automotive hose clamp around the outside of the hub to help avoid breaking the hub.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I would be very concerned about the toothppick the original plumber left where the floor joist used to be...
He cut too much of the joist out and it will leave a very weak spot in the floor...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, I neglected to mention that! I wonder how many more there are just like it across that floor...:eek:

JDC

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for the options.

Unfortunately for me, the GC went cheap on the plumbing 27 years ago. The "toothpick" of a joist matches a few "toothpick" studs and other framing members the beaver left. I'll correct these in the bathroom remodel.

This forum has helped me see the value of quality plumbing--something I'll invest in on my next home.

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks