HELP- laundry water backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

ryson

Reaction score
PVC drain for laundry and laundry sink run under floor, there it meets the condensation drain for the AC. Its tied into the system with a smaller diameter pvc into a the larger diameter pvc pipe (not connected or sealed) but with a check valve below, then a trap below. drain continues sloping towards center where it disapears into crawlspace floor about 5 feet away.

I found stagnant standing water on floor below check valve. Tested by running water in laundry sink , draining entire tub from sink and then pouring a few gallons down condensate drain line. No leak at connections.

I then ran washing machine. First time it dumped the water there was no leaks. Second cycle when it dumped water its spewed a bit from the check valve and opening at condensate setup. Thats were the water came from.

Is that drain backing up or is the way the condensate tied into the main drainline the problem? Sloping of pipe? faulty check valve? Please help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It certainly could be the main backing up or, a septic tank problem if you are on one. Given the volume of 2 washer loads going out before it backed up it would be some distance down the pipe.

ryson

Reaction score
How about the way I describe the condensate drain if it made any sense... is that a proper installation?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There should be standing water in the trap of the condensate drain. It should not overflow when you run the washer.

As I said You either have a clogged main or, a septic system problem. You need a pro!

ryson

Reaction score
A plumber will be called, but I was wondering, how does soapy water flow past a check valve that supposed to keep it in place?

Also, does the configuration I describe smaller pipe into larger pipe (no seal, just check valve) sound like a standard installation?

Wha

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you can post a picture of it... A condensate drain should not be a direct connection if that is what you are saying.

Check valves don't work all the time it may need cleaning or, replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks