Mogul-base photoelectric socket?

Users who are viewing this thread

fyreline

Reaction score
Does anyone make such a thing? I have a mogul-base mercury vapor lamp on the electrical pole up at my camp, and I would like to have it go on and off via photocell. Can't seem to find one with the larger mogul base. Thanks.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
The socket screw-in photo electric devices are a "consumer" product for the home.

The outdoor lighting you are talking about is a commercial thing and would not typically be found in a home. Usually for these there would be more than one installed and an electrician would wire in a photo electric switch like in the following pictures. These come in different wattages and can be installed anywhere. Best to install somewhere where the light will not hit it or the light will turn itself off!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/categories/electrical/switches/lighting-photocontrols

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Those socket style photo cells are of the type which cannot be used with ballasted loads. Putting it in the buld socket, you would be downstream of the ballast, but I have a feeling it would still not work, due to the way the simple photocells operate ( current stealing). ALso, the voltage used to start an HID bulb would probably kill a photocell anyway.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Often the local power company will supply a light-activated (or inactivated, depending on your point of view) light like yours, with power, for a fixed monthly fee. Lots of my neighbors have them -- apparently they give you a deal on the power, since it's by definition an off-peak load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks