What size water supply to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

tlong_66

Reaction score
First of all Thanks to all those to have given such good advice in my past posts. At the moment I have one last home improvement project on my list. That is to put a new seal under a toilet and change fill/flush valve while I'm at it. The problem is with the water supply. When I go turn off the water it does not shut off completely no matter how hard I tighten it. I've tried using WD-40 and tightening the screw in the center but nothing works. So the answer of course is to change the shut off valve and water supply. What I do not know is what size or type of valve/water supply to buy. Is it 3/8 5/8 1/2 or what? I looked at Lowes's and there were so many combinations of them I was totally confused. No one who worked there was much help. Also there are different types of the valves. I have included a pic so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Also any tips on removing /installing as I have never changed one of these. Thanks Again!

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Is that gray plastic?
if so could be PB (polybutylene). Check the forum for more info on PB

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not easy to say for sure with the size and picture quality but is that a grey plastic pipe clamped onto the valve with a copper ring?:confused:

My thoughts exactly Patrick! as we cross posted... Iwas trying to enlarge the image but couldn't see much of anything.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And where is this toilet located?
1st floor slab?
1st floor crawlspace under?
1st floor basement under?
1st floor finished basement under?
2nd floor?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The worst thing you can do is put WD-40 on either the pipe or the valve. It's a dissolvant.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like a gate valve, so if you tighten it too much, you will break the stem. Then you have a valve which is permanently OFF. You should consider replacing the valve with a ball valve.

tlong_66

Reaction score
The toilet is located in a mobile home. It is grey polybutylene.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What does that line go up to feed? Please provide a measurement of the outside diameter also.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The valve is not a gate valve. It's a cheap brass stop. I often replace all the valves in mobile homes because they're basically junk.

tlong_66

Reaction score
I want to replace the stop and the supply going to the toilet but have not found the right part at Lowes'. Since the new water supply will have a threaded end and not the "PB" end or pex i think you call it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A couple of options for replacement exist. Do you have access to PEX crimp tools? Can you sweat copper pipe?

I would get below the floor of the trailer and cut the polybutylene then either using a polybutylene/pex adapter or, a sharkbite transition to either PEX or copper up through the floor to a 1/4 turn straight stop valve then run a braided stainless steel closet supply up to the toilet.

What you use depends on the questions above.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may be able to use a "normal" compression fitting if you get the appropriate SS inner sleeve. A compression fitting needs something solid to compress against. That is why you insert the SS sleeve inside the pipe. It has a small lip on it so it doesn't migrate. Then, you install the compression valve as if it was copper pipe. I know this works on PEX, and may be approved for what you have. I'm pretty sure I bought one at HD packaged for PEX didn't look to see if it supported other pipe. I think Sharkbite now has some fittings with an integrated shutoff, which would also work.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Problem is that I don't really trust Polybutylene so I'd like to get any transition or connection made to it down below the floor where a leak would not subject you to water damage.

Eventually all this stuff should be replaced. In your situation I'd recommend this product from Watts...http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/potablepexplumbing/learnabout/learnabout_cinchclamp.asp

Raven Products makes a SSC Crimp Tool that is sold at many supply houses for about $50 that will have you set up for installing this as cheap as it gets. Tools and everything you will probably repipe the whole trailer for $2-300.

tlong_66

Reaction score
Ok guys Thanks for all the input. Here is an update. I removed the toilet changing the seal, flange bolts and fill/flush valve. I used the main shut off to shut off the water supply. One minor leak that was quickly fixed and none since even checked to make sure all was level. The water supply/shut off valve is not a major problem as i but i still would like to change it. I have bought 2 possible replacements. One from Home Depot is a 1/4 turn straight 1/2 inch (non compression to toilet) and 3/8 compression. The other from ******* is 1/4 turn straight 1/2 inch (non comp) and 3/8 inch quick connect with a black insert pipe stiffener (which i don't think i would need). Any thoughts on the replacement ideas? Thanks Again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks