Upward drain

Users who are viewing this thread

p1lumb3r

Reaction score
Diagonal upward drain

Kitchen drain pipes run horizontal to the main drain. Will there be a problem with drainainge if there is a diagonal upward slope (3"-4" slope) to main drain? thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes...it will create problems. My unprofessional opinion. How far does it go horizontal prior to hitting the vertical?

p1lumb3r

Reaction score
Yes...it will create problems. My unprofessional opinion. How far does it go horizontal prior to hitting the vertical?

jadnashu..
thanks for the reply...from the p-trap, horizontal pipe is about 3-4 ft. before the pipe goes diagonally up (not vertical) maybe about 3-4 inches to connect to the main drain pipe...thanks..

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water will not run up hill. A drain must slope downward at the rate of at least 1/4" per foot or 1" per 4 feet. No way around it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If you can convince water tp flow uphill, your next project should be to design a perpetual motion machine, because it is supposed to be impossible also. To quote someone, "Don't lower the drain, raise the sink", or vice versa.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks