Droped PVC pipe down well

Users who are viewing this thread

Bug

Reaction score
For several years I have been adding a little bleach down my well now and then by using a 5 foot piece of PVC pipe to reach down past the electrical wires and box at the top of the well. And of course it was bound to happen...I dropped the PVC pipe down the well today. Do I need to contact my well company to get it out? Can it really hurt anything to just leave it there? And yes, I do feel pretty stupid for dropping it. Bug

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The problem will come when you try to pull the pump. Either the pipe will come out with the pump, or it will wedge between the pump and casing and lock it up where you can't pull the pump. What is the diameter of the casing and diameter of the pipe you dropped?

Bug

Reaction score
The casing is about 7 or 8 inches wide and the PVC pipe is about 3/4 inch wide. So far I havn't had any problems from it. Bug

Bug

Reaction score
Speedbump,
I forgot to answer your question about the bleach...
I am a city girl moved to the country and I just couldn't get used to the taste of well water. At first I had some bacteria in the well that caused a brown slime in the toilet tank and made the water taste funny. A friend that works at a company in town that does water "conditioning" (fixes funky water problems) said to try pooring a gallon of bleach down the well. It would be stong for a few days but would work its way out as I ran the water. I did and the brown slime never came back. The water no longer tasted bad, but it still didn't taste good to me... people who were raised here on well water think it tastes fine. I know it sounds funny but I was raised on city water and if I put about 2 cups of bleach down the well every other month or so I like the way it taste better.
Bug

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Doing that can cause certain problems if done long enough. Like water quality problems, a reduction in the recovery rate of the well and problems with the pump, drop pipe and power cable; assuming a submersible pump. That's also true of shocking a well every year or so. With IRB, it can cause encrustations that chlorine can not penetrate. Then you may have to rehab and clean the well.

It takes 21 days to change a good or bad habit, and if you think you can't, you're right. You're also right if you think you can... It's the things that are in water that give it a good or bad taste; city water usually is not as good quality as your own well water. You should get a water analysis and see what and how much of it is in your water to see if there is any problems with it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I agree with Gary, drinking chlorine just because your used to it is not a good thing. Get used to the Well Water and you will like it far better than the yucky City Water.

Chlorine down the well should be rinsed off the casing and all pipes/wire in the well. If you haven't done that, you might want to do it asap.

If you killed the Iron Bacteria, that's a good thing, you must have done something right.

bob...

Bug

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Bug

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks