What is a good dependable brand for shallow well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

wp1

Reaction score
Hi again. I have this question: Can someone recommend a good brand of shallow well pump to me? I am looking for a 3/4 hp.

The reason is that I recently installed a craftsman 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump and I installed a 2 gallon sears captive air tank directly on top of the pump. This set up is a 40 - 60 psi . Everything was working wonderful, but when I came to look at the pump an hour later when it was shut off I noticed water leaking at the bottom where the motor and pump meet. I took it back to sears, got another one and the same thing happened. I decided I bought two lemons and just got a refund. As I think back on it I am wondering if the air tank being directly on top of the pump was pushing so much pressure downwards that it was causing the pump to leak? Maybe I should have place the air tank in another spot? . I can't believe I got two back to back lemons. The pressure on my water tank was 50 psi when I observed the leak. Any help please? I don't want to get a third craftsman pump at this time until I research futher.

Thanks very much.

Well is only used to water my small lawn. Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Any of the pumps you buy at the big box stores, like Craftsman and Water Ace have been cheapened up considerably. Plastic housings, cheap seals and bearings, low grade motors, and other things make them "cost less" and seem attractive. Then when you have a problem, you get excellent service from the place you bought it from. NOT!!!

I once saw a huge mountain of pumps in a warehouse that were returned for warranty by Sears. The manufacturer said that they get tons of warranties mainly because there was no one at these huge stores who new how to size, install, maintain, or trouble shoot pumps. However, because these store sell stuff so cheap, they sell tons and tons of pumps. The pumps are made cheaply and the warranty period is short. So many of them make it just barely past the warranty, and the customer has to purchase a new one on a regular basis. It is called a "fluid system". Their kind of "fluid system" has nothing to do with water. They mean it gets sold, doesn't last very long, is not repairable, and must be replaced often. This keeps the cash flow for the companies "fluid", as the flow is continually coming out of the customers pocket.

There are lots of pumps that are built better and usually they are considered contractor duty. Goulds makes a good pump but, they have to support their race car team to the tune of millions of dollars per year, and the cost of their pumps reflect this. Most major brand pumps are just as good as Goulds. Get a name brand pump from a good pump supply house, and you will have something that last, and support from a company who knows how pumps work.

Last edited:

wp1

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your great inputs. I am realizing just how much I need to learn, but I am learning. No more sears pumps for now. I shall look at goulds and others like you mentioned.
Thanks very much.

Will.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks