GPM Flow Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Roboy

Reaction score
We just had a new well drilled at a new home we are building. It is 330 feet deep, with 145 feet of casing. The driller informed us that there is a flow rate of 4gpm. He told us he drilled down another 20 feet past the point where he hit water to allow for a 'pocket', or reservoir of water so I won't run dry. My question is, is a 4gpm flow rate sufficient for a home with 2 adults living in it, or am I going to have problems in the future? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It all depends on how much water you use.

I would like to have at least 10 times that for my normal usage around the house, not counting the Tree Farm which has another pump. But 4 gpm may be enough for you. If not, a Cistern may be in order.

bob...

Roboy

Reaction score
Hmmm...isit possible to increase the flow if it proves to be not enough?....Like by hydrofracturing? Or am I stuck with the flow we have? By cistern, do you mean a holding tank in the basement? Thanks again!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hydrofracting may help. I've never done it or had it done in my area as we have all the water we can possibly use here.

A Cistern can be in the Basement or buried in the yard if done right. It just has to be big enough to give you the demand needed for daily usage. It can be refilled as the water is used.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Roboy

Reaction score
Thanks Bob...I always enjoy coming to this forum - great info and helpful people!

Gerry

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Four GPM x 1440 minutes per day = 5760 gallons per day. That is a lot of water for a household that typically uses 250 to 400 gallons per day.

Whether it is enough for household peak demands depends on how much water is stored in the well and the capacity of the pump. A 4" well contains0.65 gallons per ft and a 6" well contains 1.47 gallons per foot, so if you have 100 ft of standing water in the well above the pump you have 65 or 147 gallons available for pumping, beyond what the well produces.

The other limit is the pump. You can check that by running an outside faucet at a rate that just allows the pump to keep up with the mid-point pressure of your pressure switch setting and measuring the flow rate in gallons per minute using a large bucket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks