American Standard Champion toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

rhliberman

Reaction score
We had one of these toilets about a year ago and we don't like it, or maybe it's not working properly?

The problem is that it flushes so quickly and with such little water that the toilet bowl constantly requires cleaning.

Is this normal? Can it be adjusted? Or, can I remove the flow tube and replace it with the "regular" kind? It looks much wider than the regular kind.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's the way it is. All toilets are required to use 1.6gallons/flush or less (and it is likely to change to a smaller volume). As a result, the only way to make it flush is to dump it quickly. Champion works, but many people have had problems with them plus, their QC isn't very good. If you use the search function, you can read volumes of other people's thoughts and feelings about this toilet.

Some toilets do a better job of washing the walls of the toilet than others, but there is a limit on what you can do with 1.6 gallons.

rhliberman

Reaction score
Can the flush valve be replaced?

Thanks for that info.

Can I replace the flush valve with a Fluidmaster valve? They don't look like the same size.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They are not the same size!
If you have the champion that has the flush tower I would recommend calling Am. Std. to get their latest and greatest design change yet to upgrade you to the Champion 4 flushing system...

Yea thats right they are up to the 4th redesign on this lemon of a toilet!

The posting at the top of this linked page shows the old and new designs.
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4833&page=11
You may want to look at the rest of the 12 pages at present in that thread... All people that got taken by Am. Std. and their Chumpian Toilet.

At 1/2 a century + in age,
I have never pooped a golfball yet...
Nevermind 24 of them...
I don't understand how the ability to flush 2 dozen golfballs
can possibly sell a toilet!

One thing for sure...
It wasn't high quality...
or,
Great engineering...
That sold them!

Last edited:

rhliberman

Reaction score
Should I just replace the tank?

We just do not like this toilet at all. Can just replace the tank?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No the whole toilet would have to be replaced.

I would suggest looking at Terry's consumer report on low flow toilets before you buy anything... https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
He installs them in his own home to try them out... That is about as real a test as there ever was, I often feel Terry and I share an intolerance of inferior products. (If you can't tell by my posting) I suspect poor performers don't stay long! If you are in his service area I would encourage you to buy from him.

If not I would encourage you to look at the Toto line and visit one of their distributors in your area. I have been installing Toto toilets as my toilet of choice when I pick up a toilet for a customer for 5 years now and have had no callbacks or, complaints on any of them yet. The only call I do get is one where they want more of them installed.

Toto website...http://www.totousa.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How clean the bowl stays depends on several things: how big the water spot is, where you sit on the toilet, your diet, how smooth the glaze it (it does make a difference), and the quality of the toilet design.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Changing the flush valve would convert your $300 toilet into a $99 toilet. Not much of a bargain.

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
We've had nothing but problems with Champions. Our policy now is that we won't sell one, supply one or install one. For the same money, you can buy a Toto Drake or a Kohler Cimarron. Drakes are a litte more dificult to find in our area so we've been installing Cimarrons. We've put in a couple hundred of them so far without a single problem.

My suggestion: Remove the Champion, drag it to the curb, go buy a real toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks