hot water pipe rattle

Users who are viewing this thread

reluctant-homeowner

Reaction score
Hello, we are about to put our house on the market, so of course a number of problems are surfacing last minute. Just recently, when we turn the hot water tap off anywhere in the house, we hear a soft rattle that seems to be coming from one area in the house; of course within a wall. This happens if you turn the tap off fast, turning it off slowly there is no rattle.

I did the usual - opened the relief valve on the water heater, turned on outside taps until there was no air in them and stood under pipes in basement trying to locate sound...no luck.

Do I need to take the drastic step and call in a plumber? Time is agianst us here...thanks for any help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rattle

What you did had nothing to do with the curing rattle. You have to have one person open and close a faucet while the other one tries to pin down the source of the noise. But finding it does not mean it will be easy to fix, especially if it is inside a wall, since where you hear it may not be the exact place where the rattle is occurring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks